FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United slump to defeat at high flying Chorley

FC United slump to defeat at high flying Chorley

Ten man FC United slumped to a 4-0 defeat at promotion chasing Chorley on New Year’s Day as another red card and more late goals cost the Reds again.

The visitors had acquitted themselves well against the Magpies in a goalless first half but when Mike Donohue was sent off five minutes after the break for his second bookable offence the writing was on the wall.

Elliot Newby broke the deadlock just seconds after Donohue departed before adding a second with 14 minutes to go. Josh O’Keefe then added a brace of his own in the final 10 minutes as the Reds capitulated for the third time in a week against tough opposition.

The home side started strongly and an early chance came when Harry Winter gave the ball away to Marcus Carver but he fired well wide.

On 20 minutes, Tom Peers showed quick feet and made good space only to fire his shot just wide. Fifteen minutes later Kurt Willoughby took a 25 yard free-kick that flew just over the bar.

Shortly before half time, Josh Wilson headed straight at Lloyd Allinson. One blight on the first half was a very harsh caution for Donohue for not retreating at a free-kick despite having his back to the ball. It would prove to be a crucial moment in the game.

On 50 minutes, the caution came back to haunt Donohue when he caught a Chorley player with a marginally late challenge, the referee giving himself no leeway and he produced a second yellow card.

FC United had no chance to regroup as the resultant free-kick was played into the FC box, the ball dropped to Newby who slotted home despite the best efforts on the line of Steve O’Halloran.

The lead was increased on 76 minutes when the ball was played into Carver, Chris Lynch did well to put him off, but the ball dropped to Newby who fired home his second of the game.

Things got worse with 10 minutes to go when a corner from the right was powerfully headed into the goal by O’Keefe, the score was increased a couple of minutes later when Lynch got into a tangle with Allinson, the ball finding its way to O’Keefe who rifled home from close range.

The scoreline looks harsh on FC United who for the first 50 minutes matched the home side, though didn’t really look to be troubling the scoreboard.

However, for the second game running, a dismissal changed the course of the contest and by the end of the game, FC were well beaten.

Report by Steven Wood

Website man of the match: Chris Lynch. Despite the mix up for the fourth goal, Lynch yet again stood out in a red shirt, getting in vital blocks, headers and clearances to keep the scoreline down, albeit temporarily.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 20:40 Tue 1 Jan 2019
News ID ~ 8208
Last Updated ~ 08:41 Sat 5 Jan 2019