FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United dragged back into relegation fight with defeat at Telford

FC United’s dismal away form continued with a 1-0 defeat at Telford United, a result that threatens to drag the Reds back into a relegation battle.

This is a ground where the Reds have yet to register anything other than defeat in any type of game, competitive or friendly. The most worrying thing was yet another blank scoresheet, the fourth in a row in the league, with the only goal in five games being the one at Hyde United.

The game started with much endeavour from both sides but little in the way of quality. In the first 30 minutes, the closest anyone came to even sniffing a goal was two long range shots from Steve Irwin and debutant Jeff King that just flew wide of the post.

The deadlock was broken by the home side on 34 minutes when a cross from Elliot Newby wasn’t cleared. It fell to John McAtee who fired home into the far corner.

The goal was almost a carbon copy of the winning goal Telford scored last season, same end of the ground, same position of the area, same part of the net. The only difference is that this year, the scorer of that goal was sitting on The Reds’ bench.

Tom Greaves shuffled the pack at half time, moving Scott Kay into the back four, releasing Joel Senior and Luke Higham to play as wingbacks. This seemed to have the desired effect as FC United did improve their performance, although with still a dire lack of cutting edge.

Greaves himself had a couple of chances, a header straight at Ben Wilson and getting on the end of a King cross, following a good move, but the ball fell just behind the player manager and he dragged the ball wide.

As the game wore on, Telford had chances of their own, Amari Morgan- Smith stinging the fingertips of Lloyd Allinson and four minutes later, Smith again bringing out a save from Allinson.

With nine minutes to go, substitute Connor McCarthy had a half chance with his first touch but he failed to hit the target against his former club and the ball flew over the bar.

With the continuation of the poor run of form, FC United have been dragged back into the relegation mire meaning the upcoming home game against Gainsborugh Trinity ?next Saturday? is vital for three points.

Report by Steven Wood

Website Man of the Match - Sam Baird. Another composed performance from the young player who just pips Lloyd Allinson to the award.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 20:14 Sun 25 Feb 2018
News ID ~ 7796
Last Updated ~ 21:33 Thu 1 Mar 2018