FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Fortress Broadhurst stands firm as FC United beat Curzon Ashton

After two tough away games against top six sides, the latter resulting in a heavy 4-0 loss, FC United needed a good result at home to local side Curzon Ashton on Saturday. A two nil win with a Steve Irwin penalty and a Connor McCarthy strike giving the Reds a welcome three points.

FC United kicked off facing the SMRE stand however it was the away team that started the brighter, the Nash established a neat passing game early on as they won the opening midfield exchanges. Both teams were trying to play down the flanks but ultimately there were no chances of note until the 26th minute when Danny Wisdom found himself on the edge of the Curzon box but Cameron Mason was equal to the task.

The game started to become scrappy with a few niggly fouls creeping in. Just after the half hour mark home goalie Lloyd Allinson was forced to make a fine stop from James Baillie when through one on one.

Shortly after the game exploded into life when Irwin was the victim of a horrendous challenge from Joe Guest, the Curzon fullback receiving his marching orders. The "handbags" that followed the challenge saw FC’s Zac Corbett and Curzon’s Daniel Shaw also receive yellow cards. Even with ten man Nash earned two corners in first half added time but to no avail.

Early in the second half Kieran Glynn was booked for dissent after disputing the decision of a linesman.

The Reds finally started to find some space, Wisdom making a great run down the centre of the pitch and then Glynn being sent on by Irwin which resulted in him being brought down by Mason. Penalty on 50 minutes.
Irwin, cool as cucumber, slotted the ball home to put United in front.

McCarthy had a couple of shots on target, one a really powerful rasping drive that Mason parried out for a corner.
Curzon were still playing their part in a entertaining second half Allinson being called upon again to make a good save from a counter attack.

The referee was called into action once again on 54 minutes, Glynn’s foul resulting in his second yellow card of the game and an early bath for the FC midfielder. Even though United had lost their man advantage they pressed on for a second goal. Irwin made good use of substitute Tyrell Palmer’s pace down the right and an inch perfect cross found McCarthy inside the six yard box, 2-0 on 72 minutes.

Another Irwin through ball sent speedster Jamal Crawford one on one with Mason, but the Nash custodian made a fine save.
The game reached it’s conclusion with no further chances but not for want of trying by both sides.

A gritty hard fought encounter ended with FC United taking the points, much needed in an increasingly tight division.

Man of the match : Really difficult decision with it being more of a ground out victory but Sam Baird gets the nod. Baird doesn’t start every week but when he does he looks like he’s played every minute as he never lets the side down and goes about his business like a seasoned professional.

Report by Neil Lees

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 10:32 Sun 28 Jan 2018
News ID ~ 7763
Last Updated ~ 16:41 Sat 3 Feb 2018