FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Whitby woe as FC United go down 3-1 at home

FC United were defeated 3-1 at home to Whitby Town on a sunny autumnal afternoon in which the visitors benefitted from an overruled offside decision on six minutes before adding another just before half time. Jerome Wright pulled one back with 11 minutes to go to give the Reds hope, but the Seasiders put United’s fate beyond doubt in the in the 90th minute.

Karl Marginson’s side were once again returning to league action for a rearranged fixture against the Seasiders of North Yorkshire. Following a second cup exit at the first hurdle, focus switched to making FC United’s games in hand count.

Jon Worsnop retained the No.1 shirt from the midweek trip to New Mills, whilst Frank Van Gils and Richard Smith of the Development Squad earned themselves places on the bench following impressive performances in the aforementioned fixture.

Within the first few minutes, United were trailing against the run of play, courtesy of Graeme Armstrong’s glancing header from a free kick nestling in the bottom corner beyond the dive of Wornsop. The player looked to have been judged offside by the linesman, but despite protestations as the Whitby players celebrated, the referee overruled the decision and the goal stood.

United were beginning to have chances and Wright and Dave Birch both forayed into the area promisingly before Callum Byrne shot on target from the edge of the area. Astley Mulholland also had a decent effort, receiving the ball inside the area in a central position and hitting first time, from which Shane Bland parried into the path of Andy Pearson whose header met with the roof of the net.

On 20 minutes, a cross fired into the six yard box found a connection from Tom Greaves, however the striker couldn’t direct the ball to the desired side of the post and it rolled agonisingly out of play.

Four minutes later, Greaves was on the end of another good piece of play as Mulholland and Wright both broke and the former played a well-timed ball into the path of Wright who crossed in from the left. The centre-forward brought the ball down under close attention from the defender but his final ball was too weak to trouble Bland.

The Reds again came frustratingly close to an equaliser as Wright beat his man to send in a cross from which Mulholland was able to control and shoot. His effort unintentionally collided with the head of Matthew Wolfenden and this changed the course of the shot to the bottom right corner where a defender was perfectly positioned to clear on the line.

The home side’s chances were continuing to materialise and Wolfenden and Greg Daniels both came close, the latter with a long range effort which sailed inches past the upright. United were forcing some strong saves from the keeper whose performance was proving far from Bland.

Worsnop on the other hand was having a less enjoyable afternoon, particularly when Whitby doubled their lead just before the break. FC lost possession in the middle and were caught short at the back. The ball was slotted through to Shane Henry and with the United keeper grounded, the midfielder coolly took full advantage of the unguarded net.

United’s last throw of the dice in the first half was in the form of a set piece. Wright stepped up to take the free kick which was skewed wildly off-target, summing up a disappointing first period.

Marginson made an early change after the break, following a poor start in which the Reds were struggling to string passes together, whilst the visitors enjoyed possession. Matthew Walwyn came on in place of Byrne, adding another dimension to United’s attack.

Adam Rundle came close for Whitby, drilling a low shot along the ground, forcing Worsnop to dive to his left to see the ball roll inches wide of this right post.

Proceedings had hit a bit of a lull when Wright decided on a speculative shot from outside the area which took a considerable deflection and looped over Bland who could do nothing to prevent the goal, giving United something to celebrate at last.

Immediately, Rhodri Giggs replaced Wolfenden and almost set up Greaves with a flick on to the striker who inside the six yard box looked to shoot, if not for an interception from Lee Bullock who took the ball away.

Just as four minutes added time were announced, Whitby hit United with a breakaway goal scored by Craig Farrell, sealing the victory. Mulholland just had time to encapsulate the theme of the Reds’ afternoon, one of little luck in front of goal, with a shot from the edge of the area which hit the underside of the bar and bounced back into the keepers grasp.

On paper, having failed to progress in two competitions and also having picked up no points in the league, the last fortnight doesn’t make for good reading. United now face Marine at Stalybridge Celtic next Saturday, for which Chris Worsley will again be available having now completed his suspension.

Report by Victoria Fullen.

Website Man of the Match: Dave Birch – looked for the ball constantly throughout the match and tried to drive the game forward through the midfield.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 21:39 Sat 28 Sep 2013
News ID ~ 5114
Last Updated ~ 15:52 Mon 30 Sep 2013