FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Phoenix arising

New signing Jamie Phoenix announced his arrival in style last night with an outstanding whipped cross that set up Rhodri Giggs’ second goal and now the former Stafford Rangers winger is looking forward to getting his FC United career going.

Supporters have not seen much of the new arrival yet because the fast, tricky, left sided attacking player has recently had a new arrival of his own. Jamie’s partner, Zoe, who is a qualified nurse, recently gave birth to their first child, Angel Olivia. And although Rhodri didn’t get his hat-trick last night, Jamie, Rhodri and David Brown have made it a hat-trick of players whose partners have recently given birth.

22-year-old Jamie’s playing career has taken him from Bolton Wanderers to Altrincham, a three-year stint at Stafford Rangers and only last February he was invited to play for Coca Cola League Two side Walsall.

He is glad to be back in action and on Wednesday night the FC faithful got a glimpse of his quality as he made an appearance as a second half substitute, but Jamie is confident that there is much more to come.

Days before the game, Jamie told the website how much he was looking forward to playing, especially alongside his friend Adie Orr who had recommended him to the club.

He said: "I was playing for Stafford Rangers and was happy there. I was part of the team that last year won promotion to the Conference. But we live in Wythenshawe, and what with a baby on the way, I wanted a club closer to home. I was asked to go and play for the Conference North team, Droylsden, but I knew Adie and he told me about FC United’s fantastic fan base and how much publicity the team got."

A measure of the commitment supporters can expect from Jamie is a story that made the News of the World: "Stafford were playing Chester City in the FA Cup but the match was delayed because of a seven-mile tailback on the motorway, which held up fans getting to the ground.

"I was caught in the traffic jam, so I got out and walked the seven miles to the stadium. I got there just too late. We got beat 2-0, but we made the papers."

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 13:27 Thu 31 Aug 2006
News ID ~ 473
Last Updated ~ 13:41 Mon 21 May 2018