FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United remain third despite defeat at Chasetown

Mike Norton and Jerome Wright were sent off as FC United lost their 16 game unbeaten record at Chasetown on Saturday afternoon with a 2-0 defeat.

Both players are now likely to miss the play-off final, if United get there, subject to confirmation. Fortunately for the Reds, promotion rivals Colwyn Bay and Buxton both also lost.

United could have taken the lead in the fourth minute when a good cross from Wright was headed wide by Matthew Wolfenden, who probably should have hit the target.

Simon Carden was next to try his luck, but he scooped his shot over the bar. FC did have the ball in the net on 21 mins when a Platt shot deflected off Wolfenden, but sadly the winger was yards offside.

Despite having much of the ball and pressure, FC didn’t really create any clear cut chances, with only really Nicky Platt getting close with a header wide and a shot high over the bar.

As the half entered injury time, Chasetown pumped the ball downfield where it dropped to Davies in the centre circle. He ran all the way to the FC box unchallenged before poking the ball past Ashton to score with the home team’s first chance on goal in the game.

All in all a pretty in descript first half from both sides that didn’t indicate the fireworks that were to come in the second period.

The second half started well for the Reds. Acton in the home goal miskicked a clearance straight to Platt but recovered well to save the goalbound shot.

On 50 minutes, Stephens was played through one-on-one with Ashton but the FC keeper did well to turn the ball wide. Eight mins later home skipper Teesdale crashed a header against the bar as Chasetown began to look dangerous.

On 73 minutes, Deegan, who was on for Carden, stabbed a shot just wide of the post as the Reds looked to get on level terms but just five minutes later this was made even more difficult.

The ball was crossed over from the left towards Norton, who challenged with Turner in the six yard box. Turner was left on the floor as Norton tried to recover the ball. The referee then blew the whistle and showed Norton a red card for kneeing Turner in the groin.

The Reds skipper pointed out that the assistant, who had a clear view, hadn’t flagged and maybe should be consulted but to no avail and Norton had to leave the field.

The game then went through a flat patch with the Reds doing their best to get back into the game, a difficult task with only 10 men and without their 30-goal-a-season striker.

United were then reduced with two minutes to go with Wright picking up a second yellow for what seemed to be nothing more than a shoulder barge on the touchline.

In injury time, Teesdale hit the woodwork again and the home side grabbed a second goal when a free-kick from out wide by Branch eluded all players and sailed into the net.

So a frustrating day for FC but with the teams around them also dropping points second place is still well within grasp but Karl Marginson may have a selection headache if the Reds reach the play-offs as they now have four players about to serve suspensions.

Report by Steven Wood

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 13:11 Mon 18 Apr 2011
News ID ~ 3540
Last Updated ~ 13:11 Mon 18 Apr 2011