FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Missed penalty costs United at Burscough

FC United slipped to a narrow 1-0 defeat at Burscough on Saturday afternoon with Carlos Roca missing a first half penalty.

It took until the 18th minute for the either side to create an opening. Craig Mahon, one of the few good performers on the day, broke free only for his cross to be blocked by United full-back Kyle Jacobs. Moments later, Roca had the first shot of the day but it flew high, wide and handsome.

The deadlock was broken in the 26th minute. A free-kick was chipped into the United penalty area and the unmarked Mahon looped a header over Grant Shenton, who was making his league debut for FC United, into the net.

Three minutes later, Ludovic Quistin fired in a shot but it was weak and straight at Whiteside in the Burscough goal.

United had their best chance of the day on 35 minutes when Roca cut into the box and was tripped. He got up to take the penalty but rolled it agonisingly wide of the left hand post.

Hopes were high that FC could start the second half with an improved performance and it looked that way as they had more of the ball. However, just before the hour mark Burscough could easily have added to their lead with Morley firing at Shenton and Moore scooping over the bar when he really should have scored.

The chances were now coming thick and fast for the home side, McEvatt shooting straight at Shenton, and left-back Holden picking up a loose ball in the middle of the pitch and waltzing through the FC defence before shooting woefully wide with just the keeper to beat.

Shenton continued to keep the score down, with a great one-on-one save from McEvatt, the rebound dropping to Mahon, who saw his shot brilliantly cleared off the line by Holden.

On 82 minutes, Shenton again produced a fantastic save, tipping over a shot from Moore and also save from sub David Wilson.
There was still time for Mahon to hit the post deep into injury time.

In a disappointing game where it was difficult to find many positives, the travelling United fans were cheered by the performance of Shenton in goal and the usual never say die attitude from skipper David Chadwick.

Report by Steven Wood.

10th April 2010
Played at: Victoria Park, Burscough
UniBond League Premier

Lost: 1-0
Half Time: 1-0
Attendance: 675

FC United
1. G Shenton
2. J Holden (cautioned 52)
3. L Quistin
4. A Tsiaklis
5. D Chadwick (capt)
6. K Jacobs
7. C Roca
8. S Carden
9. J Mack
10. J Wright
11. J Yoffe

12. P Marsh
15. C Ovington (for 9 46)
16. B Morris
17. S Cheetham (for 11 60)
19. C Krou (for 4 60)


1. R Whiteside
2. L Field (cautioned 56)
3. S Holden
4. D Morley
5. A Bayliss (cautioned 89)
6. Z Riley
7. C Mahon
8. D Roberts (capt)
9. P Moore
10. G McEvatt
11. D Brookfield
12. D Wilson (for 10 83)
14. A Taylor
15. T Taylor (for 7 90+2)
16. A Barlow
17. M Christopher

Scorers: Mahon 27

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 00:10 Mon 12 Apr 2010
News ID ~ 2834
Last Updated ~ 00:10 Mon 12 Apr 2010