FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Bury Sports Development Tournament

Primary School 7-a-side Tournament (Years 5 and 6, girls and boys), organised by FC United of Manchester in conjunction with Bury Sports Development and Ivan Lewis MP’s office.

Venue: Manchester Maccabi Community and Sports Club

FC United are pleased to have been invited by Bury Sports Development to organise a tournament for all the primary schools in Bury South (comprising Prestwich, Whitefield and Radcliffe) with the winners going through to an all-Bury final against the winners of a Bury North tournament organised by Bury FC. The winners of that match will go foward to a competition which could eventually see them contest an all-England final at Wembley.

The participating primary schools were Ribble Drive (who brought two teams), St Mary’s and Gorsefield, all from the South Bury/Radcliffe area. The format of the competition was round robin consisting of six matches. The games were ten minutes each way.

The first two matches saw Ribble Dr A play against St Mary’s. Ribble started the game quickly and went into a 2-0 lead before half time through Callum Morris and Laim Livesy, despite the best efforts of St Mary’s agile keeper Alex! In the second half the match was more even and St Mary’s pulled a goal back towards the end of the game, scored by Alex Cooper. They were pushing for the equaliser right up until the final whistle, but the match ended 2-1. In the other match, Ribble B and Gorsefield played out an entertaining 2-2 draw. The scorers for Ribble B were Declan McStravick and Dominic and for Gorsefield Kelvin Wang and Callum.

In the next two matches St Mary’s faced Gorsefield and the two Ribble teams played each other. The first match was settled by a single goal scored by Sam Allen for Gorsefield late on in the second half. Ribble A beat Ribble B 4-1, after leading 3-0 at half time. The goals were scored by Jordan Taylor, number seven Callum Morris (2) and Will Roberts. The consolation for Ribble B was scored by Joseph Holt.

This meant that going into the final two matches, Ribble A had 6 points and Gorsefield had 4. The winner of the match between these two would win the tournament overall. Ribble took a quick lead through Callum Morris again, who was the top scorer with 4. They held on for a 1-0 win for the rest of the match despite some considerable pressure from Gorsefield. The other match ended in a 3-0 victory for St Mary’s who had been playing better with every game. The scorers were Harry Coleman (via a couple of deflections!), Munishe Bonzo (the only girl to score in the tournament) and James Cooper.

Therefore the final table looked like this:

Ribble Dr A300729
St Mary’s102433
Ribble Dr B012391

All the teams enjoyed the afternoon, thankfully played in bright sunshine! Many thanks are due to the two referees, Stuart Truman and Keith Dewsnip, to the organisers and helpers from FC United and Bury Sports Development and to Claire Garside, Community Development Worker at Ivan Lewis MP’s office.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 17:41 Fri 9 Oct 2009
News ID ~ 2464
Last Updated ~ 17:14 Fri 11 Oct 2013