FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

United through to next round

A second half strike from Ben Deegan was enough to see FC United through to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup as they overturned North Ferriby 1-0 on Saturday afternoon.

The Reds weathered an early storm to see off a spirited Ferriby performance with Deegan pouncing from six yards out in the 66th minute after good work down the left wing from Jerome Wright.

The Villager’s homely Church Road ground was awash with red, white and black as hundreds of United fans made the trip to Humberside to watch what was an exciting end-to-end game. Ferriby will feel unlucky to have been beaten as the match could have gone either way but the Reds put in a professional performance, particularly after taking the lead.

The hosts were out of the blocks much quicker than United and the Reds were threatening to continue their unwanted tradition of conceding an early goal. Ferriby did in fact get the ball in the back of the net through Tom Matthews but the referee’s assistant had already raised his flag for off-side.

Just seconds before the disallowed goal, Paul Foot hit the foot of Sam Ashton’s near post after ghosting past Simon Garner a little too easily. United were foraging forward themselves but failed to really make goalkeeper Steve Wilson work. Captain David Chadwick had United’s first chance when he headed a Wright corner over the bar.

Wilson particularly didn’t really deserve to be on the losing team as he put in a good performance, particularly showing great awareness on a number of occasions by coming out to collect United’s probing through balls.

Wilson’s alertness was making it difficult for United to get going and the Reds were also failing to get a grip on the game in the centre of the park with Ferriby seemingly always first to the loose ball.

However, after surviving the early scares the Reds looked solid at the back with Chadwick putting in a trademark performance of immensity - throwing himself around to win every ball in the air and most of the ones on the deck too.

Ferriby did come close one more time in the first 45 minutes though. Gary Bradshaw should have at least hit the target when he was teed up by a teammate perfectly inside the penalty area. However, the number 10 rifled his shot wide of the right post.

The second half started equally bright and FC United started to get more of a hold on the game. Bradshaw, who had looked like Ferriby’s main threat, was nullified by Adam Tong and Chadwick.

Carlos Roca looked destined to score as he broke through the Ferribydefence but his goal bound shot was touched into the side netting and Simon Carden was denied a goal after a double save.

Soon afterwards Jake Cottrell was introduced for Carden and the youngster played a vital role in the goal. Cottrell held the ball up well on the left flank before releasing Wright down the wing. Wright burst into the box at full pace and laid a great ball into the six yard box for Deegan to tuck home despite being marked by three defenders.

United then showed great professionalism to shut out Ferriby for the remaining 25 minutes to hold on for victory without any late scares.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 11:34 Mon 28 Sep 2009
News ID ~ 2436
Last Updated ~ 12:25 Mon 21 May 2018