FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Reds suffer narrow defeat

FC United slipped to a 1-0 defeat away to UniBond Premier Division leaders Kendal Town on Saturday afternoon in front of 1,117 supporters at the Lakeland Radio Stadium.

The Cumbrian side took all three points and continued their unbeaten start to the season thanks to a goal by Mark Wane one minute before half-time.

The Reds pressed for an equaliser and came close on a number of occasions with Ben Deegan heading over the bar but it wasn’t to be United’s day.

With Kendal unbeaten and top of the league, FC United certainly couldn’t expect a cakewalk up in the Lakes, and so it proved. The result could have been different if former Kendal fullback Simon Garner had not seen his early shot fortunately scooped over the bar by Newnes in the home goal.

This seemed to spark the home team into life and they broke the FC United offside trap with ease over and over. Thankfully Sam Ashton was continuing his superb early season form and he kept the Reds in the game with a series of good saves.

It only seemed a matter of time before the home team took the lead and they did on 44 minutes with Wane firing in a ball from the left. This Reds had a lot of thinking to do at half time and they started the second half with much more purpose. A free-kick was floated in from the left and Rob Nugent beat the keeper to the ball heading it back to Deegan who agonisingly headed over with the goal at his mercy.

The game erupted on 53 minutes thanks to an off the ball flare up between Nugent and Taylor. There looked to be an elbow from the home striker and retaliation from the FC United defender. Neither player could have argued had they seen red but inexplicably none of the officials saw anything and both stayed on the pitch.

The away team were looking much more dangerous than in the first half and were only a whisker away from equalising when the excellent Phil Marsh collected the ball, turned and produced a mint curling shot that hit the outside of the post and went wide.

The controversial moments of the game kept on coming with both teams becoming embroiled in a few scuffles and arguments and a ’diving’ incident involving FC United substitute Danny Williams. Within seconds of being brought on he was played through with the keeper advancing on him. A collision occurred and as the fans held their breath expecting the referee to point to the spot, he gave a goal kick and Williams a yellow card for the fall.

The inevitable red card, which the game had threatened throughout the second half, was finally produced with three minutes to go when Michael Cole was dismissed for a second booking following yet another melee. Quite why Cole felt it necessary to leave the pitch over the wall and walk through the bulk of FC United’s travelling support anyone’s guess.

Sadly, there wasn’t enough time left for United to push home the extra man advantage as Kendal held on for all three points. So another close defeat for FC and on another day, it could easily have been a point apiece, though the lack of goals and shots on target may be a concern for Margy and the back room team.

Report by Steven Wood


FC United
1. S Ashton
2. A Carden
3. S Garner (cautioned 70)
4. D Warrender (cautioned 62)
5. D Chadwick (capt)
6. R Nugent (cautioned 58)
7. C Roca
8. S Carden (cautioned 90(+5))
9. B Deegan
10. J Wright
11. P Marsh
12. T Moses (for 2 73)
14. J Cottrell (for 7 55)
15. J Mack
16. D Williams (10 73) (cautioned 73)
17. B Morris


Kendal Town
1. D Newnes
2. K Walmsley (cautioned 70)
3. G Melling
4. T Hallam (capt)
5. G Steel (cautioned 70)
6. C Warburton
7. M Cole (cautioned 18, 87 = sent off 87)
8. M Wane
9. A Taylor (cautioned 83)
10. W Beattie
11. D Wisdom
12. D Foster (for 8 72) (cautioned 88)
14. L Mullvaney (for 9 85)
15. C Osman
16. S Redhead
17. T Bush

Scorer: Wane 44

Full report to follow.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 10:39 Mon 7 Sep 2009
News ID ~ 2401
Last Updated ~ 12:36 Mon 21 May 2018