FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Thrillers in the mist

FC United romped to a 3-0 victory over top of the table Hednesford Town in foggy conditions at Gigg Lane on Saturday thanks to a brace from Kyle Wilson and a third from Jerome Wright.

The league’s leading scorer, Wilson took just 13 minutes to find the back of the net as the Reds gained a surprise lead against the in-form Staffordshire side.

The visitors tried to battle back in the mist but with United for once looking solid at the back, Wilson grabbed his 22nd of the season with 20 minutes to go and Wright completed the significant upset with five minutes remaining.

Following a crash out of the FA Trophy on Wednesday night at the hands of Boston United, the Reds were sure to be looking for a result in what was expected to be a tough game against the Pitmen.

It was the visitors who were first on the attack in the opening stages, looking for that early lead. However, it was Simon Carden who went for goal in the first five minutes, unleashing a shot from long range through the fog, but posing little threat.

Salford old boy Tommy Turner was next to offer a United chance as he looked to be on target early in his debut. Turner made a run into the area and beat the visiting defenders and keeper to the ball, before attempting to lob Hednesford’s number one, Stuart Brook. Unfortunately, his effort on goal was off target and the ball was cleared to safety.

The Reds looked to be ravenous for the opening goal and only had to wait until the 13th minute for Wilson to put the ball in the back of the Hednesford net. Simon Carden played the ball out to Wright on the left who skipped past a defender before crossing the ball into Wilson in the Hednesford area. Wilson steered the ball past Brook’s left with a first time shot to send United into the lead.

Within a minute of the restart, the visitors caught FC United off guard and the Reds could have been left regretting their goal celebrations, if it had not been for a Danny Warrender clearance off the line.

In continuing attacking play, Turner had another opportunity to score his debut goal in a clear cut chance for the FC new boy. Chris Baguley played the ball through the middle to Turner for a one on one with the keeper. The resulting shot on goal from inside the area was saved and bounced off the keeper to safety.

The beginning of the second half saw Hednesford starting strongly and searching for an equaliser. Just after the kick off, the visitors had a penalty claim as they went through on goal. Their appeals were turned town and instead United were given a free-kick as the referee judged the Hednesford player to have dived.

A chance then fell for United as Wilson went through on goal to the Manchester Road End’s chants of ’we’ll never see Sam Ashton’ through the thickening fog. Wilson squared the ball to Turner who was able to retrieve the pass and come back inside for a shot on goal which was blocked by Brook.

With half an hour to go, Ashton made an excellent save to prevent a Hednesford equaliser. The ball was crossed into a foggy penalty area and was picked up for a shot on goal. The ball was going in at the foot of the left hand post but Ashton managed to get down and make a vital save pushing the ball out for a corner.

Moments later, Wilson doubled his own score line and that of United on 70 minutes when he put the Reds two nil up. Turner picked up the ball on the break in the midfield and played it a delightful pass through to Wilson on the edge of the area. The forward rounded the keeper and calmly slotted the ball over the line.

Turner was substituted on 76 minutes after a promising debut and was replaced by Nick Robinson. Minutes later, Carlos Roca came on in place of Adam Carden, just in time for United’s third goal of the game. Roca played the ball down the line to Wilson who sent it into Chris Baguley in the area. Baguley missed the ball and it went straight across the area to Wright who hit a storming shot straight through the keeper and into the back of the net.

As the game came to a close, Hednesford were unable to offer anything to the proceedings. In fact, Robinson could and should have made it four but somehow headed wide from Wilson’s cross when it looked easy to score.

It didn’t matter though because as the full time whistle blew, United were able to celebrate an excellent performance and a much deserved victory.

The Reds will surely be pleased with a fantastic result against the team top of the league who were undoubtedly outplayed by an all round good performance from FC United in front of the 1,946 supporters at Gigg Lane. United will now face Woodley Sports in the League Challenge Cup away on Tuesday night.

Report by Vic Fullen.

FC United
1. S Ashton
2. D Warrender
3. S Garner
4. C Baguley
5. D Chadwick (capt)
6. R Nugent
7. A Carden
8. S Carden
9. K Wilson
10. J Wright
11. T Turner
12. N Robinson (for 11, 76)
14. P Dieyte (for 8, 86)
15. C Roca (for 7, 83)
16. L Foster
17. A Skidmore

Scorers: Kyle Wilson (13, 70), Jerome Wright (85).

Hednesford Town
1. S Brook
2. S Hall
3. A Burley
4. D Gomes
5. D Harvey
6. S Stamps
7. C Sheppard
8. A Robinson
9. T Barnett
10. R Dyer
11. R Draper (capt)
12. A Maguire
14. M Briggs (for 6, 22)
15. S Platt (for 7, 57)
16. E Durrell (for 8, 57)

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 16:40 Sun 30 Nov 2008
News ID ~ 1962
Last Updated ~ 12:34 Mon 21 May 2018