FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Mortimers star in stalemate

The Mortimer brothers Alex and Ben starred as FC United’s young reserves, bolstered by the presence of club captain David Chadwick, fought out a 0-0 stalemate with East Manchester FC on Wednesday night in front of more than 100 spectators.

The playing surface was in very good condition considering the recent downpours. East kicked off shooting up hill having the best of the possession in the first 5 minutes. However it was united who forced the first couple of corners. An Alex Mortimer shot bringing a smart save from the keeper Nick Stevens and good work down the right from Cosgrave.

United were looking the more dangerous with Mortimer racing up and down the left wing giving the full back problems. East were almost inviting the pressure on by sitting deep and it showed when Danny Shannon put an unchallenged cross from the right for Stevens to claim at the second attempt.

At the half way point in the first half, the visitors would have be the happier of the two teams in having more possession, especially in the last third. United were starting to dominate as Louie Scott delivered numerous crosses making the East defence work hard. East made a few changes introducing Dean Hindel for Greg Wilkinson and Andy Tomlinson for the injured Alan Howarth.

On the half-hour mark East had their first shot. A Tony Lynch direct free kick narrowly going over the cross bar from 25 yards. The home team began to enjoy better possession showed as they found more space.

Gareth Chew found himself on the right hand side delivering a low cross only for United keeper Martin Lipa to parry to the penalty spot and was cleared by the defence. United bounced back, Muhammed Habib hitting a shot from 20 yards aiming for the top corner only to be tipped round the post by Stevens.

East went close minutes later after a deep cross from the advanced Paul Caton found Darren Green and Chew at the far post who seemed to get in each other’s way and headed wide. It was East who finished the half on a high and could have taken the lead. Green dropped deep and slid a pass through to the advancing Burns who looked to be in with a chance but for a superb challenge from Mortimer.

United made wholesale changes at half time with just captain Ben Mortimer staying on from the starting eleven. Into the second half and the sun was low, causing problems for all the players. The first 10 minutes drifted by with no real action. Both teams struggling to keep possession with the ball being won and lost in midfield.

More substitutions were made by both teams and the game began to get a bit stretched. Howarth winning a free kick on the edge of the box gave East a chance to test the keeper. Hindel stepped up and curled it just wide of Tampas’ left hand post. It was another break when centre back Kinder intercepted a through ball from Saeed Ali.

A minute later the visitors had the ball in the back of the net only for it to be ruled out for offside. Scott was unlucky to see his low shot strike the foot of the post and rebound into the path of the offside striker who tapped it in. It was the correct decision but East could count themselves lucky.

With 10 minutes remaining, United brought on Danny Shannon for captain Mortimer. Five minutes later, manager Stanley knocked a ball down the right flank for Burns to deliver into the box, only for it to be cut out at the near post. East then had their closest effort on goal, with Burns and Stanley linking up well on the right again. Another Burns cross this time found Caton at the far post who could only hit the outside of the post. It was the visitors who could have snatched it right at the end with a chance for Shannon. A slide rule ball found the striker in a one on one with Crompton who made a smart save down to his left to keep the score at 0-0.

Simon Harrison

East Manchester FC

1. Nick Stevens
2. Danny Kinder
3. Paul Caton
4. Alan Howarth
5. Simon Finnegan
6. Tony Lynch
7. Graham Burns
8. Greg Wilkinson
9. Gareth Chew
10. Darren Green
11. Lee Berry.
12. ..
13. .
15. Andy Tomlinson (for 4 - 25 mins)
16. Dean Hindle (for 8 - 25 mins)

2nd half subs

3. Paul Caton (for 11 - 65 mins)
8. Greg Wilkinson (for 6 - 66 mins)
13. Chris Stanley (for 9 - 72 mins)
7. Graham Burns (for 15 - 75 mins)
17 Danny Howarth (for 10 - 75 mins)

East Manchester MOM - Darren Green

FC United Reserves

1st half

1. Martin Lipa
2. Liam Foster
3. Ben Mortimer
4. Matt Hampson
7. Dave Chadwick
8. Alex Mortimer
11. Louie Scott
12. Danny Shannon
13. .
14. Alex Rowlands
15. Muhammed Habib
16. Martin Cosgrave

2nd Half

1. Tony Tompas
2. Lee Ellis
3. Ben Mortimer
4. Saeed Ali
5. Paul Casey
6. Jamie Rother
7. .
8. Dominic Stockdale
9. Warren Collier
10. Gary Edwards
17. Anthony O Neill
18. Renee Mike


9. Louie Scott (reintroduced for 9 - 65 mins)
11. Danny Shannon (reintroduced for 3 - 80 mins)

FCU Man of match 1st half - Alex Mortimer
FCU Man of Match 2nd half - Gary Edwards

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 13:10 Thu 19 Jul 2007
News ID ~ 1046
Last Updated ~ 12:20 Mon 21 May 2018