FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United seal safety with York victory  

FC United sealed a fourth consecutive season in the Vanarama National League North with a 1-0 victory over York City at Broadhurst Park on Tuesday night and completed a league double over the visitors in doing so.
A Connor McCarthy goal in the second half was enough to move the Reds to 50 points and confirm their survival with two games to spare.
Both teams started the game slowly and for the opening half hour there wasn’t much by way of clear cut chances before Lloyd Allinson proved what an asset he is to this team once more with another great stop from a stinging shot across the goal to keep the game at 0-0.
With the scores level at the break and FC attacking the SMRE you always fancy our chances of getting something out of the game and the Reds certainly stepped up their game in the second 45 minutes.
Craig Lindfield set the tone for the second half with an early header which just went wide of goal, but it was a signal of intent from the Reds who were clearly hungry to get back to winning ways following the disappointing defeat at home to Darlington on Saturday.
On the hour mark Steve Irwin played Scott Kay in on goal and Kay rather unselfishly squared the ball across the box to leave McCarthy the opportunity to simply walk the ball over the line to give the Reds the advantage.
Rather than sitting back the Reds went for the kill with an Irwin shot hitting the bar and most things coming into the box seemed to be causing problems for York ‘keeper Adam Bartlett.
Irwin was again at the heart of things for the next good opportunity, linking up with the ever-impressive Joel Senior on the right before dragging his effort just wide of Bartlett’s goal.
With the Reds unable to convert their dominance and chances it was always a possibility that the visitors could find a way back into it late on. With less than ten minutes left a low, hard shot from Louis Almond was somehow saved by Allinson who clearly wanted to add another clean sheet to the three points which he had surely sealed with his save.
With the final whistle came the points needed to mathematically rule out the relegation that seemed to be on the cards earlier in the season and it’s a testament to the players’ performances after a slow start this year that two wins in our final two games would actually give us our best ever points finish.
FC United now travel to Alfreton on Saturday, before we look to retain our Manchester Premier Cup next Tuesday when we play Trafford in the final at Ewen Fields in Hyde.
Man of the Match: Craig Lindfield – At the heart of everything on the night and lead by example when taking the captain’s armband in the second half.

Report by Craig Phillips

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 09:00 Wed 18 Apr 2018
News ID ~ 7859
Last Updated ~ 18:22 Sat 28 Apr 2018