FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Badge FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United through to semi-finals with comprehensive victory at Hyde

FC United marched into the semi finals of the Frank Hannah Manchester Premier Cup with a convincing 3-0 victory over Hyde United at Ewan Fields.

It was The Reds that made all the early running with only some poor decision making, rushed shots or last ditch defending preventing the away side from taking the lead. Adam Dodd passed the ball out of play when he could have had a shot on goal, Regan Linney drove a shot wide and Tunde Owolabi brought out a great block from Luis Morrison all inside the opening 20 minutes.

On 21 minutes Linney saw a shot saved by Luke Mewitt with the rebound being put wide by Owolabi when it looked easier to score.

On 37 minutes, a mix up in the FC defence saw Dan Turner shoot wide when he could have done better. Right on the half time whistle, Dodd fired a 25 year free kick that somehow went through Mewitt and into the beck of the net.

The keeper was injured in the process and didn’t appear for the second half, Liam Tongue going in goal.

In total, Hyde made three changes at the break and this did see them have more of the ball but the FC defence held firm. A lifeline was headed to Hyde on 54 minutes when a Jamal Crawford cross was handed by Dodd. Sub Paddy Lane seeing his spot kick saved by Cameron Belford.

FC were still seeing much of The ball but didn’t really test Tongue, though there was a penalty shout on 67mins when Tongue challenged Owolabi, the referee deeming a fair challenge and giving a corner.

Three minutes later, the FC striker finally got his goal when he was played in and fired The ball in at the near post. This goal was a FC record breaker as Owolabi became the first FC player to score in seven consecutive games. On 90 minutes the lead was extended to 3-0 with a fine solo effort from sub Louis Myers.

The victory was well deserved, a fact borne out of the stat that FC completed over 500 passes in the 90 minutes. The Reds will now be at home to either Irlam or Maine Road in the semi final.

Report by Steven Wood

Website man of the match: Chris Doyle. Hardly put a foot wrong and won most, if not all, tackles and headers in the 90 minutes.

First Posted ~ 10:04 Fri 15 Nov 2019
News ID ~ 8556
Last Updated ~ 22:45 Thu 4 Feb 2021