FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Badge FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United dumped out of Buildbase FA Trophy 7-0 at Barrow

FC United dumped out of Buildbase FA Trophy 7-0 at BarrowFC United suffered their heaviest ever defeat of 7-0 as the Reds were dumped out of the Buildbase FA Trophy at National League Premier Division leaders Barrow.

Barrow ran riot as FC United, who were reduced to 10 men late on, struggled to cope with their opponents from two divisions above.

Right from the first kick, Barrow showed the pace, power and ruthless finishing that is expected from a team currently at the top of non league. The home side put out their strongest side, giving FC the full respect they deserve.

It didn’t take long for Barrow to look dangerous, the ball being hacked off the FC line after a header on five mins. Five minutes later John Rooney saw a shot well saved by Cameron Belford. Two minutes later the game could have turned, FC were looking a little sharper in attack and Tunde Owolabi was played in, his shot blocked by Joel Dixon. The back was crossed back in to Owolabi who again saw Dixon his match.

On 16 minutes the ball was played across the FC box by Scott Quigley to Brad Barry who slotted home past Belford. From that point the home side took control, Rooney firing a 25 yrd free kick just wide. It was no surprise when the lead was doubled, Barry providing this time for Josh Kay to slide the ball in via Belford. Right on half time, it was 3-0 as Quigley beat the offside trap to cross for Rooney to tap in.

A minute into the half, Belford was again the saviour, saving from Quigley. Just after the hour mark Kay was tripped in the box for a penalty, Rooney chipping the spot kick home. On 68 mins it was 5-0, a cross from the left was headed by Byron Harrison into the goal.

With nine minutes to play, Barrow were awarded a second spot kick. Kay was again played in and shot which was well saved by Belford, the ball dropped to Quigley who fired over but with the help of the hand of Chris Doyle. The pen was awarded and Doyle was given his marching orders. Belford saving the resultant spot kick.

It was 6-0 on 84, Dior Angus was played in and he rolled ball past Belford. Angus scored his second and Barrows seventh with two minutes to go.

Full credit must go to FC who never gave up and to their credit continued to play football right to the final whistle.

Report by Steven Wood

Man of the Match: Cameron Belford. Pulled off a number of saves that kept the score to seven.

First Posted ~ 17:48 Sun 12 Jan 2020
News ID ~ 8610
Last Updated ~ 16:00 Fri 19 Feb 2021