FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Badge FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United draw with City of Liverpool as hundreds of fans return to Broadhurst Park

FC United draw with City of Liverpool as hundreds of fans return to Broadhurst ParkFC United and fellow fan owned club City of Liverpool played out an entertaining 1-1 draw as 570 socially distanced supporters returned to Broadhurst Park, many for the first time since February.

Around 150 volunteers had been able to watch United’s 2-2 draw with Barrow two weeks ago but this was the first time that club members, the public and away fans had been able to come to see United for six months.

The visitors took an early lead but Michael Fowler headed home the equaliser moments into the second half to earn the Reds a draw. Steven Woods reports:

The game started cagey with neither side looking a threat until the deadlock was broken on 10 minutes when a ball in from the left found Jamie McDonald alone by the touch line. His first time shot from an acute angle found the net via the far post.

The goal provoked FC into action with both Regan Linney and Michael Potts shooting wide but The Purples were looking very dangerous on the break with both McDonald and Craig Cairns breaking forward seemingly at will. It was the latter who got into a good position on 22 minutes but he shot weakly wide.

On 25 minutes FC United had a chance when Adam Dodd crossed for Michael Fowler but his goal bound volley was blocked.

With four minutes on the clock in the second half, FC drew level, when a cross from Linney was headed home by Fowler at the far post.

Just on the hour mark, Curtis Jones gave the ball away to Dominic Reid who crossed to Cairns who weakly headed over. Linney again came close ten minutes later when he produced some great skill to make room for himself to fire goal wards but Owen Wheeler did well to tip wide. At the other end Dan Lavercombe was also called into action beating away a shot from Jordan Barrow.

With eight minutes to go, FC United thought they had grabbed the game when Fowler was played in only to see his shot roll past the far post. There was a small flurry of chances at either end in the last minute as Liverpool sub Tony Grey poked the ball wide and Linney saw a shot blocked.

Man of the Match: Michael Potts. A calming performance in the middle of the pitch. Used the ball well and strong in the tackle.

Report by Steven Wood

First Posted ~ 13:35 Sun 6 Sep 2020
News ID ~ 8769
Last Updated ~ 16:00 Fri 19 Feb 2021