FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Margy positive about draw

Manager Karl Marginson remained positive about seeing two goals from Congleton Town’s Andy Hurst either side of half time peg back FC United after they had taken a commanding 2-0 lead through Rhodri Giggs and Rory Patterson.

The Reds were straight out of the blocks and two goals to the good in the first 20 minutes of the North West Counties D-Zine (Contractors) Ltd League Challenge Cup semi final. They looked to be fully in control for most of the first half but the Bears fought back and a sloppily conceded goal just minutes before the interval gave them a way back into the two legged tie.

United appeared to lack discipline in the second half and Congleton were playing with renewed confidence. It was no real surprise when Hurst grabbed the equaliser on the hour mark to make sure the score is evenly poised for the second leg at Gigg Lane in two weeks’ time.

Margy knew his side should have done more to capitalise on the good position they got themselves in to but was reasonably pleased over all. He said: "We should have killed the game off in the first half, we need to be more ruthless in front of goal, but the important thing is how the lads respond to that on Saturday.

"It wasn’t the best, we have to give them credit, I thought they worked really hard, but we were a little bit sloppy with our defending and some of our finishing."

Margy is looking forward to the second leg, although he thinks it will be another tough match. He said: "I was disappointed with the performance, but at this stage we’ve got to be pleased because we’re in a strong position with the two away goals. The second leg will be just as tough because they’re a strong side."

The Reds looked the more likely to pinch a victory towards the end, but Margy didn’t think it would have been justified. He added: "I think it was a fair result. We had some chances, the ‘keeper’s made a great save from Nicky Platt and how Josh (Howard) didn’t get that header in I don’t know, maybe it was behind him a little bit. We could have nicked it, but it would have been harsh on them."

The second leg takes place on Saturday 31 March at Gigg Lane with kick off at 3pm. The good news for United is that they came through last night’s match unscathed so there are no new injury concerns for tomorrow’s match away to Abbey Hey.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 09:59 Fri 16 Mar 2007
News ID ~ 886
Last Updated ~ 13:41 Mon 21 May 2018