FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United’s unbeaten run ends with a bump at Bamber Bridge

FC United’s unbeaten run ends with a bump at Bamber Bridge

FC United’s 14 game unbeaten run in the BetVictor Northern Premier Division ended with a 3-0 drubbing at Bamber Bridge on Saturday afternoon.

The defeat - FC’s first in the league since October and their first away league defeat since the opening weekend of the season - means the Reds dropped off the pace at the top of the table.

It was a far from inspiring performance from the Reds, but the home team were good value for their victory and thoroughly deserved the three points on the day.

The first half wasn’t anywhere near the level that FC have produced over the season so far and the effort levels in the middle of the park were below standards to say the least. The home team just looked fired up and hungry and obviously felt they had a point to prove to a returning Neil Reynolds, showing great desire for each and every ball for the whole of the game.

The home team had the lead after just seven minutes, with the first real attack of the game as they countered quickly down the right and Alistair Waddecar showed great composure putting the ball past Cameron Belford.

Tunde Owolabi had FC’s best chance of the first half as he got a toe to the ball on the edge of the box, lofting the ball over Danny Roccia’s head, and as the ball trickled towards Roccia’s goal Kieran Charnock managed to just clear the ball away.

An uninspiring first half saw Reynolds make two changes at the break, replacing Luke Griffiths and Charlie Ennis with Jack Lenehan and Morgan Homson-Smith. The early part of the second half was a bit better for FC, looking like there was a bit more impetus in each attack.

With just over 20 minutes left, Owolabi had a glorious opportunity as he got away from his man with the ball, beating the defender to work his way into the box, but his effort was straight at Roccia in the Bamber Bridge goal. From the rebound the home defender seemed a bit overly physical in his challenge on Owolabi, but the referee waved away what seemed like a solid appeal for a penalty.

With that FC’s chance of getting back into the game had come and gone. The home team sealed the three points with two more goals before the end of the game. Two minutes after Tunde’s effort Sheldon Green made it 2-0 as a well played passing attack gave him space in the box.

Nathan Shaw sealed the victory with a third for the home team just two minutes from time, completing a great counter attack and giving the home team a well deserved three points on the day.

Reynolds must now look to get the momentum back behind the Reds as they travel to Nantwich on Tuesday evening, with just one league position and two points separating the two promotion hopefuls.

Website man of the match: Adam Dodd. A difficult day on the field, but Dodd looked the likeliest to make something happen for the Reds with his direct runs from the back.

Report by Craig Phillips

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 22:44 Sat 22 Feb 2020
News ID ~ 8643
Last Updated ~ 21:12 Wed 26 Feb 2020