FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United slip to second from bottom after defeat at Darlington

FC United slip to second from bottom after defeat at Darlington

FC United moved closer to the Vanarama National League trap door after a 2-0 defeat at Darlington, though there is still some small slither of light at the end of the tunnel.

With four games of the season to go, the Reds need at least seven more points to have any chance of survival.

Manager Neil Reynolds promised to ring out the changes after the 4-0 reverse versus Nuneaton and he was true to his word with four players from the clubs Under-21 side making the starting XI as well as returning skipper Mike Potts.

Romal Palmer tested Andy Fisher early on with a free-kick that the young keeper beat away from goal and on 19 minutes debutant Will Ozono almost marked his day with a goal after a good move involving Potts and Kurt Willoughby but his cross was cleared just as Ozono was ready to pounce.

In terms of possession, it seemed fairly even, but the home side seemed to look sharper in front of goal, Fisher saving again from Palmer and Stephen Thompson seeing his cross shot fizz just past the far post.

On 40 minutes, Ozono played a great ball through for Tom Peers to run onto. Jake Turner in The Quakers goal beat him to the ball but spilled it, Peers couldn’t quite recover quickly enough to reach the ball and the chance was lost.

Three minutes later, this proved costly as a cross from the left was powerfully headed home by Omar Holness to give the home side the lead.

FC started the second half brightly, Potts again orchestrating in the middle of the pitch. He played a good ball through to Peers who couldn’t just make that vital touch to play the ball goalwards.

Just before the hour mark, a good Darlo move down the right saw Chris Lynch make a last ditch challenge to concede a corner. This corner wasn’t dealt with and the ball fell to Thompson who fired the ball hone to double the lead.

Almost immediately, a FC free-kick caused panic in the home defence but eventually the ball was scrambled over the bar for a corner.

With 20 minutes left on the clock, FC were so, so close to pulling a goal back when Willoughby made space for himself and fired a powerful shot that beat Turner but sadly the ball crashed against the upright. Eight minutes later Zehn Mohammed had a great chance when he headed goalwards but the keeper was equal to it.

The defeat, coupled with Ashton’s win at home to Spennymor saw FC drop one place in the table but Guiseley also lost again so there is still a small hope and it is mathematically still possible FC can escape the drop. The pivotal games come next weekend with FC at home to Kidderminster and Guiseley and Ashton meeting in West Yorkshire. All could be a little clearer come 4.50pm next week.

Report by Steven Wood

Man of the Match - Zehn Mohammed. Yet again Mohemmed showed maturity above his years and won pretty much every one of his battles during the 90 minutes.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 17:17 Sun 7 Apr 2019
News ID ~ 8341
Last Updated ~ 10:43 Tue 9 Apr 2019