FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United beaten by Chorley on Boxing Day

FC United beaten by Chorley on Boxing Day

FC United slipped back into the relegation zone of the Vanarama National League North after being convincingly beaten 4-1 by second placed Chorley in front of 2,366 supporters at Broadhurst Park on Boxing Day.

The Magpies were a bigger, stronger, more organised side and ultimately, their second half dominance deserved the three points.

The Reds had spells in control but overall their possession and intricate passing style of play didn’t convert into goals. At the other end, they were picked apart far too easily by their much more clinical opponents.

However, despite the scoreline, the Reds will wonder what might have been after Kurt Willoughby had a goal, that would have made it 2-1 to FC United, controversially disallowed on the stroke of halftime.

With Chorley riding high in the league all the season, FC United started the day hoping, rather than expecting, that they could get a result from the first of three festive fixtures.

The challenge became even more difficult just seven minutes in when Lloyd Allinson had another moment to forget. The Reds goalkeeper spilled a routine catch from a hopeful cross to the feet of Chorley’s Josh Wilson, who squared for Marcus Carver to break the deadlock.

Fortunately, United were back on level terms after 15 minutes courtesy of centre-backs Stephen O’Halloran and Chris Lynch combining. O’Halloran put in an inviting cross to the back post and Lynch slid in to bundle the ball over the line.

The Reds were in the ascendancy but without really working Magpies goalkeeper Tony McMillan. However, they felt aggrieved moments before half-time when Willoughby volleyed the ball into the bottom corner in front of the St Mary’s Road End. The referee felt there was a foul by Chris Sharp in the build up and blew his whistle just as the England C striker let fly.

Into the second half and Chorley looked like a different team - one the Reds couldn’t cope with. Two quick goals from Josh Wilson in the 61st and 65th minute killed off the game.

The first came from a corner where he rose completely unchallenged at the near post to head home past a static Allinson. FC United’s knack of conceding from set-pieces and crosses continues unabated.

Four minutes later, Allinson did well to save Matt Challoner’s powerful, deflected piledriver from 30 yards but he parried the ball straight into the path of Wilson, who fired home first time for 3-1.

The Reds piled forward in a bid to get back into the game. They produced some good, patience build up play but lacked ideas in the final third.

Almost inevitably, Chorley hit them on the break. Wilson split the sparse FC United defence with a beautifully executed throughball, which Carver finished with aplomb to make it 4-1.

Substitute Tom Peers almost got one back for FC United but his close-range header was tipped round the post before Allinson denied Wilson a hat-trick at the death with a fine save.

Website man of the match: Michael Potts. The FC United captain led by example again and was continually trying to drive the Reds forward in a good first half display.

Report by Matthew Haley

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 18:48 Wed 26 Dec 2018
News ID ~ 8203
Last Updated ~ 15:49 Fri 4 Jan 2019