FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United beat Tamworth as the Lambs lie down at Broadhurst

A much deserved 3-1 scoreline gave FC United victory over Tamworth FC on Sunday afternoon at Broadhurst Park.

Jason Gilchrist with a brace, followed by a Steve Irwin penalty and Connor Taylor replying for the Lambs.

The game started at a decent tempo, both sides looking to play neat attractive football. A foul on Connor McCarthy gave Irwin an early dead ball chance but he blazed the free kick over.More good link up play between McCarthy, Danny Wisdom and Joel Logan lead to a rasping shot from outside the box by Zac Corbett which was tipped over by visiting keeper Shaun Rowley. United had a two corners in quick succession as they looked to take advantage of their good start.

Tamworth were restricted to a couple of long range efforts during this period that were easily gathered by Lloyd Allinson.

Gilchrist had a shot cleared off the line after great work by Irwin in the box. The red rebels finally got their reward on 18 minutes when Joel Senior crossed from the right and found Gilchrist who headed home.

United pressed on for a second, McCarthy was particularly effective running at Tamworth’s defence creating chances or bringing his colleagues into the attack. Logan and Senior providing the width down either flank. The rest of half became a tough, gritty battle for midfield dominance with some meaty challenges being dished out by both sides. Halftime arrived with the score still 1-0.

Tamworth made a substitution during halftime bringing on tricky winger Callum Powell. The Tamworth number 16 proved troublesome straight from the kickoff drawing several fouls. One of the resultant free kicks from the left was headed back across goal and Allinson had to dive in bravely but the ball fell into the path of Taylor who slotted home from close range.

Just before the hour mark McCarthy was forced off due to injury but United didn’t lose any of their momentum gaining more corners as they looked to take the lead once more. On 65 minutes Gilchrist broke free down the right with only substitute Tim Kinsella in the box, he looked up, the ball left his right foot and sailed into the top corner. Was it a cross or a shot ? No matter, 2-1 to the Reds.

A heated melee ignited the players on the pitch and the crowd off it, Scott Kay and Aman Verma receiving cautions for their part in the fracas. Another yellow card for each side followed in the next two minutes. The second infringement conceded by the Lambs gave Gilchrist an opportunity for his hat trick. He struck a beautiful free-kick but the upright saved the visitors from going 3-1 behind.

FC United kept up the pressure Gilchrist and Logan again linking up down the right but nobody was on the end of the searching cross.

As the game entered the final minutes a harmless looking back pass to the keeper by Tamworth captain Luke Jones gave United chance for a third goal they richly deserved. Lambs keeper Rowley made a complete hash of it and ended up kicking the on rushing Irwin who got up off the floor to drive the resulting penalty into the top corner. 3-1.

The Reds played out the remainder of the match running down the clock with some tidy possession football.

A much needed three points was just reward for a pleasing performance from FC United, hopefully carrying the momentum onto next Saturdays FA cup match against Stockport County.

Website man of the match: Great team performance today but Jason Gilchrist, who was unlucky not to get a hat-trick, gets the vote.

Report by Neil Lees

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 05:19 Mon 25 Sep 2017
News ID ~ 7608
Last Updated ~ 15:50 Fri 29 Sep 2017