FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Four out of four (Full report)

FC United extended their 100% record to four games on Monday night away at Glossop North End @ the only slightly sour point was that the Reds conceded their first goal of the season.

The first half finished scoreless as FC were profligate in front of goal, Simon Carden missing from point blank, David Chadwick heading past, Rory Patterson scuffing a shot straight at the goalkeeper and Stuart Rudd lashing a 25 yard free kick a yard wide.

Mortimer’s inswinging near post corners created a threat and the fluid 4-4-2 formation with Giggs switching sides and pushing on to make a 4-3-3 when in possession kept the Glossop defence busy.

Rudd worked hard, linked the play well and won the aerial battle, while Giggs chased back when necessary and both full backs overlapped to give width. FC maintained an edge throughout, but rode their luck on 43 minutes when Ashton had to advance out of his area to clear a ball played over the top and again on 44 minutes when Matty Taylor blocked a goal bound strike from Lee Evans.

A fiercely fought opening spell to the second half began and FC attacks were punctuated by Glossop scoring a disallowed goal before Margy’s men killed off the game in a rapid six minute spell.

Rory Patterson finally broke the deadlock on 54 minutes striking a speciality volley from just outside the area after a clearance from a Mortimer corner. Rudd then headed home a Mortimer corner swung to the back post for the first time.

A double substitution before the hour introduced Josh Howard and Steve Smith who immediately combined to stretch a shell-shocked Glossop defence and play in Simon Carden to curl a sublime goal in off the far post.

Carden was himself substituted on 68 minutes in favour of Adie Orr. Adie, roared on by an ecstatic crowd, combined with Howard to allow Giggs to cross from the right on 72, and Rudd fired home his second and the second volley of the night from 12 yards out for United’s fourth.

Despite finding themselves four down Glossop battled hard and substitutes Hind and Morris put extra bite into midfield to stem the flow. They received some reward in the 83rd minute as Ashton was penalised for a foul in a one-on-one situation and Dave Young despatched the resulting penalty low to his right to make it 4-1.

The late goal wasn’t enough to dampen the spirits of the majority of the 1,219 fans in attendance at Hyde’s Ewen Fields as FC United maintained their position at the summit of North West Counties Division One.
Match information:

Glossop North End
1. S Williams
2. D Young
3. A Levendis
4. D Blore (capt)
5. S Hazelden
6. D Conlon
7. P Nibloe
8. D Hamilton
9. L Evans
10. L Blackshaw
11. M Woodcock
12. D Morris (11 73)
14. R Whelan (for 7 70)
15. S Hind (for 8 77)

Scorer: Young 84 pen.
FC United
1. S Ashton
2. M Taylor
3. A Mortimer
4. S Spencer
5. D Chadwick (capt)
6. R Nugent
7. R Giggs
8. S Carden
9. S Rudd
10. W Ahern
11. R Patterson

12. A Orr (8, 68)
14. S Smith (4, 59)
15. J Howard (10, 59)

Scorers: Patterson 54, Rudd 58, 72, Carden 60.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 13:32 Thu 24 Aug 2006
News ID ~ 461
Last Updated ~ 17:40 Fri 11 Oct 2013