FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

Rampant Reds roll over Mickleover to stay in play-off places

FC United remain in the play-off places for the second week after beating Mickleover Sports 4-0 at Bower Fold on Saturday afternoon with goals from Michael Norton, Matthew Wolfenden, Adam Jones and Nicky Platt.

United began the game looking like they were after getting an early goal, and Matthew Wolfenden signalled his attacking intent for the afternoon just firing wide.

They also took hold of the possession play; a them which continued throughout the full 90 minutes, so it was no great surprise when Mike Norton put the Reds a goal up after twenty minutes.

A ball into the box wasn’t cleared by the Mickleover defence and when Wolfenden put Norton in on the edge of the six yard box, there was no chance the striker was missing from there.

Just minutes later United were two up after Lee Neville came bombing down the left flank and put a ball into the box, the ball was met by the head of a Mickleover defender but straight into the lap of Matthew Wolfenden who put the ball in the net to make it 2-0 after 25 minutes.

After this United seemed to take their foot off the gas a little, which is no surprise after they had seemingly put the game to bed within half an hour, but in the second half they seemed to wake up with attack after attack and always looking dangerous whenever they came forward.

The catalyst for this was undoubtedly when Adam Jones rose well in the box to powerfully head home a Carlos Roca free kick to put United three up against the visitors who had barely been in the game.

After this it looked like United felt the need to attack again and again with Neville continually proving a danger from the left and Roca and Johnson providing all kinds of problems for the visiting defence from either flank.

Manager Karl Marginson shuffled his pack a little taking off Norton and pushing Wolfenden up front and also opting to give Jones a well earned rest towards the end of the game.

This didn’t stop the goal scoring however, in fact United looked even more dangerous and when Wolfenden beat Mickleover ‘keeper Damon Clarke to the ball on the edge of the box he found Nicky Platt with his first touch, who put the ball away to complete the rout for the Reds.

What would have been so pleasing about today’s performance for the players, management and fans alike is how well United played, but also how much they looked like they had in reserve and if they can continue that at this vital part of the season it certainly looks ever more likely that a play off place is a more than achievable target.

United now sit three points clear of Hednesford Town, who drew at home to Nantwich this afternoon. Next up for the Reds is Buxton at Gigg Lane next Saturday.

Website man of the match: Matthew Wolfenden - Was at the heart of everything attacking today, continuing his magnificent form of late. Closely followed by Lee Neville who again was outstanding from the left back position.

Report by Craig Phillips

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 17:07 Mon 2 Apr 2012
News ID ~ 4144
Last Updated ~ 17:07 Mon 2 Apr 2012