FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United held at home by Mickleover Sports

FC United’s charge towards the play-off places lost momentum on Saturday afternoon as they were held to a goalless draw by lowly Mickleover Sports at Gigg Lane.

On paper, three points for United should have been a fairly straightforward affair, in consideration of Mickleover’s position in the league and also in light of the Reds’ impressive recent run of form including a stylish thrashing of Nantwich in midweek.

Saturday’s performance however was lacklustre in comparison and clear-cut chances were few and far between as Karl Marginson’s side struggled to breakdown the resolute visiting defence.

FC struggled to settle into any sort of fluency and although the visitors’ backline remained strong, Mickleover also managed to test Sam Ashton on a couple of occasions.

Nicky Platt offered the first real threat on goal for United, the keeper getting down to his right well to force two consecutive close range efforts wide but that was the only real goalmouth action in the first 45 minutes.

A flicker of hope began the second half as Matthew Tierney showed great vision to play an excellent ball through two defenders into the path of Carlos Roca. The winger then crossed into the six-yard box for an ideal goal scoring opportunity; however no-one was there to test the keeper as Mickleover cleared.

A few half-chances followed as FC tried to gain some momentum and although Mickleover looked prepared to hold out for the draw, Ashton was tested occasionally. Danny Martin hit a strong effort on the half volley from outside the area, forcing the United keeper into a flying save to his right.

Two late changes saw Ben Deegan replace man-of-the-match, Tierney and Simon Carden came on in place of Platt.

The final stages were then largely broken up by what many in the crowd felt were pedantic refereeing decisions and United had to settle for a point, bringing to an end a winning run of five games.

The Reds however still remain unbeaten in eight games and will look to return to winning ways against Worksop Town next weekend, the first of three games against fellow play-off contenders.

Report by Victoria Fullen

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 14:40 Sun 6 Mar 2011
News ID ~ 3460
Last Updated ~ 14:40 Sun 6 Mar 2011