FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Youth return to winning ways

After what seems like forever, well ten weeks if you are being picky; the FC Youth Team returned to St Brides Field to take on Marine ‘A’ in the North West Youth Alliance Premier Division. They picked up where they left off, in terms of league form at least, where they left off with a 5-1 win to make it six wins out of six and go back to the top of the league.

FC United started brightly with Matthew Tierney picking up where his first team substitute appearance on Saturday left off, with a second minute break down the right wing. His cross was caught by Ryan Jones in the Marine goal but the move showed how vulnerable the visitors would be down the flanks.

Lee Worswick was proving equally problematical on the left and fashioned a couple of half chances before Matt stepped on to the stage again in the thirteenth minute when a driving run from half way saw him shoot over from around 35 yards.

Marine had their best moment of the half when a missed tackle allowed them to break into the box. An excellent piece of covering by Jordan Dainty ensured nothing more dangerous than a corner resulted from it. The reds almost took the lead from the next attack when a Carl Fitton free kick was smartly saved at the near post.

The game then went into a quiet period, but burst back in to life in the last quarter of an hour of the half. It was 1-0 on the half hour mark when a Matt Tierney run and cross picked out Dylan Moloney who fired home from the edge of the box. Ten minutes later Tierney got his goal when he headed home from a Lee Worswick free kick. Obeid Elghreaw looked to be on hand to make sure if necessary, but half time enquiries determined that the ball was already over the line.

It was 3-0 soon afterwards when crosses first by Lee Worswick and then by Ryan Lyons were only half cleared by the Marine defence, the latter clearance being clinically returned by Dylan.

Whatever was said in the Marine dressing room at half time seemed to be having the desired effect in the early moments of the second half as Matthew Chaloner had two good attempts to reduce the deficit. However it was all to no avail as on 49 minutes a strong run by Lee Worswick found Dylan who shot into the corner of the net to complete his hat trick. Then the only surprise was that it took another 15 minutes to add to the score. A ball played into the box came into contact with a Marine arm and a penalty was awarded. The players debated amongst themselves who was going to take it before deciding on Carl Fitton who made no mistake.

The pace of the game then slowed a little although Jake Haslam was unlucky not to score with first a shot across goal which was cleared off the line at the far post and a header from a Lee Worswick cross that hit the post.

FC goalkeeper Hayden Buckley-Smith was unfortunate not to complete an impressive debut with a clean sheet when, in the last few minutes Marine were awarded their own penalty for handball; Steven Gale firing home a late consolation for the visitors.

FC United of Manchester:
1. Hayden Buckley Smith
2. Ryan Lyons
3. Carl Fitton (Goal
4. Obied Elghreaw
5. Jordan Dainty
6. Luke Kolakowski
7. Jake Haslam
8. Matthew Tierney (Goal 40mins)
9. Dylan Moloney (Goals 30, 42 & 49 mins)
10. Lee Worswick
11. Scott Cheetham
14. Ryan Westwood
15. Harrison Reeve (for 8, 62 mins)
16. Daniel McLoughlin (for 9, 66 mins)
18. Josh Burke (for 11, 76 mins)

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 20:59 Sun 21 Nov 2010
News ID ~ 3241
Last Updated ~ 20:59 Sun 21 Nov 2010