FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Buxton spring late show - full report

Two goals inside the last 11 minutes saw FC United slip to defeat against Buxton at Gigg Lane on Wednesday night.

Glynn Hurst had put United ahead in the 38th minute and it could have been more but Nicky Platt missed a penalty. The Reds looked on course for a narrow but important victory until Greg Anderson equalised and Mark Reed scored the winner by demonstrating how to convert a spot-kick with five minutes to go.

FC United’s line up remained unchanged from the starting XI featured in the Reds’ two successive victories prior to Wednesday night’s game.

Zack Hibbert, on making his fifth consecutive start in the United goal, was forced into action early on as the first real chance of the encounter fell to the visitors in the opening minutes.

Buxton did well to work the ball into the area from the left hand side and Kieran Lugsden’s initial effort was rebounded off Hibbert into the path of Mark Reed who was denied twice from close range as the United keeper completed a superb triple save.

As the half continued, FC had a few positive bursts forward but due to lack of the final ball, never really posed a threat on the Buxton goal.

Both sides had a couple of half chances just short of the hour mark as Michael Towey found himself through as a result of United losing possession, and Jimmy Holden’s shot from 25 yards was dealt with by keeper Scott Hartley.

United’s abundance of attacking play and possession looked to have paid off just minutes later as the Reds were awarded a stonewall penalty. Hurst showed strength in front of goal and did well to turn and shoot, seeing his effort handballed off the line.

Nicky Platt stepped up for the spot kick but his hesitant run up made the save fairly simple for Hartley, adding further to United’s poor penalty taking form this season.

Despite failing to profit from Buxton’s mistake, United maintained the flow of play and less than ten minutes later Hurst put the Reds in front. Norton dispossessed Scott Maxfield on the edge of the area and laid the ball off to Hurst who drilled the ball low into Hartley’s bottom left hand corner.

FC controlled the majority of play after the break and Norton had a chance just past the hour mark as he managed to control a good ball from Simon Carden and his effort from the 18 yard line just went high of the cross bar.

Lee Neville also found himself on course for goal, and was unlucky as his lob over the keeper was cleared off the line.

United continued to be on top, particularly in terms of possession, however a decision Buxton’s way courtesy of a Norton handball on the halfway line saw the tables turn in the final minutes of the game.

The free kick was sent in and only half cleared by United as the ball came back across the crowded six yard box and captain Anderson was on hand to blast it into the roof of the net.

With the scoreline level, the Reds desperately needed to regain their hold on the game, but unfortunately things went from bad to worse as Buxton powered forward in search of a win and a tiring United were forced onto the back foot.

The visitors played the ball into the FC area and as United scrambled to clear, several last ditch tackles flew in and the referee blew for a contentious foul and pointed to the spot.

Lugsden stepped up and made no mistake in firing home to give Buxton the late winner.

In spite of having been arguably the better side for the majority of the game, the Reds were punished for a jaded finish and the two final substitutions were too little too late.

Report by Victoria Fullen.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 22:57 Fri 1 Oct 2010
News ID ~ 3133
Last Updated ~ 17:14 Fri 11 Oct 2013