FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Oh we do like to be beside the seaside

As the FC United youth team made its longest trek of the season, up the M6 to Morecambe they could be forgiven for not realising they were just a couple of miles from the coast at Lancaster and Morecambe College but there was certainly something in the air. Despite a spirited effort from the home side the lads were never really risking a clap of thunder from manager Chuks Akuneto as they ran out worthy winners with a 3-0 score line.

FC started brightly and in the fifth minute Jay Walcott put Jake Haslam clear on goal and his effort was well saved by home goalkeeper Ryan Shepherd, unfortunately an offside decision would have ruled it out anyway. Lee Hill was clear on goal in the seventh minute but he too was thwarted by the keeper.

Lee did open the scoring in the 20th minute as a sweeping move involving Matthew Tierney and Josh Burke gave him what looked a slightly harder chance, it was however third time lucky for FC as this time the keeper was given no chance.

Playing into a breeze in the first half Morecambe rarely got beyond the FC defence and without creating any clear cut chances it was FC that looked more likely to score. Midway through the half a strong run by Scott Cheetham saw him fire across goal but the ball evaded everyone and went out for a goal kick. The ensuing ten minutes saw A Josh Burke free kick saved and another from Carl Fitton go wide either side of two breaks by Jay Walcott which the keeper saved on each occasion. Other half chances came and went, the first half drawing to a close with a long shot from Davison Banda going just wide.

The second half began quietly as FC adjusted to playing into the wind and Morecambe had a few chances of their own, with Matthew Parker having a shot saved just after the hour. Shortly afterwards FC doubled the lead with a free kick just outside the penalty area in a central position. Josh Burke stepped up and coolly slotted it into the bottom corner of the net.

The best chance of the game for Morecambe came midway through the second half when Parker had a free kick in a similar position. His effort, heading just under the crossbar was turned away for a corner by Andrew Farrimond. Unfortunately for him his momentum carried him into the post. Although like the Matlock keeper in the first team game at Stalybridge, he had to leave the field after a delay for treatment, an ambulance was not required. Substitute keeper Aron Buckley-Smith saw out the game and ensured the home side stayed goalless.

The third goal came shortly after that change, Ryan Westwood looked to have got beyond the last defender and was pulled back. Consultation between the officials came to the conclusion that the line of play was going away from goal and was punished with a yellow card; the resulting free kick was bundled in by Josh as the ball bounced around the Morecambe area.

That was more or less game over for FC and Morecambe had their best spell of the game as they sought a consolation goal without success.

FC United of Manchester:
1. Andrew Farrimond,
2. Davison Banda,
3. Jake Haslam,
4. Matthew Tierney,
5. Jordan Dainty,
6. Harrison Reeve,
7. Lee Hill (Goal, 20 Minutes),
8. Josh Burke (Goals 64 & 74 Minutes),
9. Jay Walcott,
10. Scott Cheetham,
11. Carl Fitton

12. Luke Kolakowski,
13. Aron Buckley-Smith (For 1, 72 Minutes),
14. Ryan Westwood(For 7, 59 Minutes),
16. Daniel McLoughlin (For 11, 78 Minutes),
20. Obeid Elghreaw

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 19:32 Tue 7 Sep 2010
News ID ~ 3080
Last Updated ~ 19:32 Tue 7 Sep 2010