FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Reds held by Wigan Robin Park

FC United fought out a tough 1-1 draw with North West Counties side Wigan Robin Park in a pre-season friendly on Tuesday night with Ben Deegan on target for the Reds.

Manager Karl Marginson shuffled his pack of players once again with captain David Chadwick returning to the team, Steve Torpey promoted to the starting line-up and Tunji Moses on the substitutes’ bench.

It was the home side who had the first chance of the game with the dangerous McNally forcing Grant Shenton to save from a long range shot.

Despite having the experience of Chadwick and Mark Ayres at the back, the FC United defence did look shaky at times, with Shenton dropping a simple take and McNally poking the ball wide. Moments later, a mix up between the keeper and Chadwick saw the ball eventually cleared from a dangerous position.

As the first-half continued, FC United started to gain a foothold in the game, taking the lead on 17 minutes when a good run and cross by Gregor Manya, was rifled home by Deegan for his first goal of the pre-season campaign. The goal produced a short flurry of half chances for the Reds, with the Robin Park defence being forced to scramble the ball clear and Manya heading wide when well placed.

With McNally and strike partner Ryan Small looking dangerous, the United defence had to keep on its toes. However, failure to deal with a free-kick on 24 minutes allowed Pitts to hook the ball into the net for an equaliser which, on the balance of play, was deserved.

The Reds did continue to try and press the home defence with Deegan firing over the bar twice; once from a Chadwick header and then after superb work on the left by Torpey.

With several substitutions, there was a slow start to the second-half and it took until the 59th minute for the first real action. Great work by substitute Lee Neville resulted in a very dangerous cross but sadly for FC United, there was no one anticipating it and the ball was cleared.

On 76 minutes, Ayres had the ball in the net but it was ruled out for offside and two minutes later, Deegan seemed to be fouled in the box but the referee waved play on. It was probably just the right decision as Deegan hesitated, giving the defender time to put in the tackle.

Neville was looking dangerous on the left wing and his cross found its way to fellow sub Grant Spencer whose header was just saved on the line by ’keeper Foulds.

A draw was probably a fair result with FC United having most of the ball but Wigan Robin Park defending stoically. Hopefully, Margy is now another 90 minutes closer to deciding what his first XI will be for the first game of the season which is less than four weeks away.

Report by Steven Wood

Team information:

FC United
1. G Shenton
2. K Jacobs
3. N Swirad
4. J Holden
5. D Chadwick (capt)
6. M Ayres
7. J Mack
8. S Carden
9. B Deegan
10. S Torpey
14. G Manya

12. G Spencer (for 14 46)
15. A Mulholland (for 7 63)
16. L Neville (for 5 46)
17. D Brown (for 8 46)
19. T Moses (for 3 63)
20. J Cottrell (for 4 63)

Scorer: Deegan 18

Wigan Robin Park
1. J Foulds (capt)
2. M Wood
3. D Midgeley
4. D Pitts
5. C Williams
6. J Corcoran
7. A Whittle
8. A Neafey
9. R Small
10. C McNally
11. P Woods

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 16:27 Wed 28 Jul 2010
News ID ~ 2985
Last Updated ~ 12:36 Mon 21 May 2018