FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC Youth held by Cables

FC United 2 Prescot Cables 2

It was a weekend in which those of a red leaning in terms of Mancunian football rediscovered the joy of a late goal, those who ventured to St Bride’s on a sunny Sunday learned that sometimes you have to know the downside as well, as Prescot Cables came from 2-0 down to equalise in the first of seven minutes of stoppage time at the end of the game.

The game itself was a keenly contested midfield contest with few early chances although Prescot had the better of those that were created. The visitors were unlucky not to open the scoring in the 20th minute when Thomas Siwka raced to the edge of his box to attempt a clearance he was never likely to make. The Prescot player comfortably chipped the ball over him but was unlucky to see the ball hit the far post and be cleared.

It wasn’t until near half time that FC threatened the Prescot goal when Gage Eme ran onto a ball from Carl Fitton and shot narrowly over the bar. Then in stoppage time FC took the lead. Prescot’s defence were seemingly tidying up an FC attack with a header back to the goalkeeper. This however wasn’t firm enough and Gage pounced to push the ball past Phil Hunt in the Prescot goal. He followed the ball and finding himself all alone in the penalty area, the crowd waited for him to apply a finishing touch. Gage just waited nonchalantly as the ball crawled across the line.

In the second half the home side attempted to take control of the game and looked like doing so at first, although the second goal was rather fortunate when it came. Dylan Maloney played a ball down the right wing which Gage chased after. His cross, whilst looking for Stephanos Ioannou on the far post looked to be an easy take for the goalkeeper. FC owe a vote of thanks to Peter Winder in the Prescot defence who chose to ignore a clear call and take action himself. That was to let the ball hit his knee and creep in off the post.

FC nearly made the game safe shortly afterwards when Dylan crossed for Gage but his header just cleared the bar. Unfortunately that was a cue for a Prescot fight back.

In the next attack Prescot were awarded a free kick about 25 yards out, which was headed out for a corner. The resulting kick was flying high over everyone’s head but the referee had seen a tug on a Prescot shirt awarded a penalty which Steven Tammes duly converted.

Prescot then had the better of the possession for the rest of the game but didn’t truly threaten the FC goal until the game drifted into injury time when substitute Daniel Burton managed to find space in the box and fired under an advancing keeper. Both sides pressed for a winner but Prescot looked the likelier to score and were denied by a fine save by Thomas just before the full time whistle went.

FC United of Manchester:
Thomas Siwka, Andy Graham, Jake Haslam, Jordan Dainty, Adam Berrisford, Josh Burke, Dylan Moloney, Luke Koakowski, Gage Eme Roshgar Mousa (85 mins), Stephanos Ioannou, Carl Fitton (Scott Cheetham 57 mins). Subs not used Joe Grantham, Ryan Lyons, Paul McIntyre.
Goals: Gage Eme (45 mins) Own Goal (59 mins)

Cautions: Gage Eme, Dylan Moloney, Roshgar Mousa, Adam Berrisford.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 12:17 Tue 20 Apr 2010
News ID ~ 2851
Last Updated ~ 17:14 Fri 11 Oct 2013