FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Reds slip to cup defeat

FC United skidded out of the UniBond League Challenge Cup 2-1 to Kendal Town at the Lakeland Radio Stadium on Tuesday night on a pitch that was reminiscent of football ’back in the day’.

The hosts took the lead after 16 minutes through Carl Osman before United equalised through Adam Tong just after the half hour mark. However, David Foster scored the winner on 64 minutes to send The Field through.

A torrential downpour before kick off turned the pitch into a quagmire and it was a miracle that the game even started and full credit must go to both teams and the officials for allowing the game to start and indeed finish.

The Reds started the game brightly, they seemed to adapt to the conditions better and could have taken the lead on 14 minutes with a Ben Deegan back-header that was just a little too high.

But the home team did get used to the boggy pitch and took the lead moments later through Osman. A short pass from Nick Swirad didn’t quite reach its target and the ball was poked through for Osman to run onto and finish well past Sam Ashton.

The goal defiantly came against the run of play and FC nearly pulled themselves level soon after with a Joe Yoffe shot that was saved by Hinchcliffe.

The Reds pulled level when a superb cross by Phil Marsh was met by the head of Tong and the ball flew into the bottom corner. United could have taken the lead six minutes before half-time but Yoffe was unlucky with a side footed shot that was just wide of the goal.

The half ended with a freekick from the home side from just inside the touchline that almost caught Ashton by surprise but he managed to force the ball wide for a corner.

With the pitch now resembling something a hippopotamus would roll around in, the second half started brightly. Yoffe had a goalbound shot blocked by Deegan and the ever dangerous Mulvaney having a shot saved by Ashton.

At the other end, Marsh had a shot saved by Hinchcliffe as the chances still came despite the ball constantly getting stuck in the mud.

On 64 minutes Kendal took the lead again when Mulvaney beat substitute Rob Nugent on the left hand side and crossed for Foster to slot the ball into the bottom corner.

The game pretty much became a war of attrition with the players struggling to get the ball to roll over five yards, especially in a 20 yard or so area in front of the dugouts.

The away team almost forced extra time in the last minute with a ball over the top saw Tong fire a shot goalwards but the keeper saved well.

So, FC can now concentrate of climbing the league with this cup defeat, but considering the conditions, they can consider themselves unlucky to come away from the Lakes with a defeat.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 13:07 Wed 9 Dec 2009
News ID ~ 2595
Last Updated ~ 12:36 Mon 21 May 2018