FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

Reds secure three points on the road

Second half goals from Carlos Roca and Simon Carden secured a vital victory for FC United against promotion rivals North Ferriby United on Humberside on Tuesday night - a win that keeps the Reds’ play-off hopes alive.

After a tight first half, the hosts were reduced to 10 men in the 62nd minute for a blatant handball and Roca broke the deadlock by putting away the resulting penalty with aplomb. Then with 15 minutes to go, Carden sealed the victory as United produced a professional performance against tricky opponents.

The win puts the Reds up to seventh pace and just two points shy of the play-off places. With only eight games left in the season, United take on seven of the top ten teams knowing that a string of victories should be enough to get them into the play-offs.

The visitors were quick out of the blocks on a cold evening in East Yorkshire, they set about their opponents with energy and conviction, determined to build on the 2-0 victory over Frickley Athletic at the weekend.

It was Jerome Wright, back in the team after serving a one-match suspension, who looked the most lively. The winger went close twice in the opening 45 minutes, fizzing one effort wide off the far post and producing a good save out of Steve Wilson in the North Ferriby goal.

At the other end, Sam Ashton had to be alert to deny young striker Colin Hunter after he had combined well with Callum Russell but in the main it was the Reds who looked the most dangerous.

Into the second half and North Ferriby had a spell of possession where they looked like they might try to take control of the match and over power the men from Manchester. However, the defence - ably led by Rob Nugent - were looking extremely composed and dealt with everything that was thrown at them.

Roca came close to breaking the deadlock just before the hour mark. He played a neat one-two with Tunji Moses on the edge of the box, ran in field skipping past two defenders and unleashed a screamer but Wilson palmed it away.

Minutes later United won a corner on the left hand side and when it was headed clear to the edge of the box, Wright was waiting to send a blistering half-volley towards goal.

With Wilson looking beaten, fullback Danny Moore opted to handle the ball on the goal-line. It was as blatant as they come and the referee had no option but to award a penalty and give Moore his marching orders.

Roca picked the ball up and placed it on the spot. For a few moments the tension was unbearable. The diminutive forward stepped up, sent Wilson the wrong way and placed the ball into the bottom right corner with great composure to send the travelling Red army into raptures.

After going a goal up, United took control of the game and made having the extra man count. Some lovely possession football saw each red shirted player getting involved and knocking the ball around the park.

With 15 minutes to go, Adam Carden made a run down the left wing and was able to use his quick feet to avoid North Ferriby’s desperate challenges. He whipped a cross-cum-shot into the box and Simon Carden was on hand, unmarked to turn the ball home after Wilson had parried it to the back post.

With a two goal cushion the result looked like it should be secured and United shut up shop in a professional manner to guarantee that all three points would be travelling back across the M62 to Manchester.

Roca could and should have added a third in the dying minutes when he went one-on-one with Wilson but the big keeper managed to get his finger tips to ball to deny Roca what would have been his third goal in three goals.

Next up it’s Hednesford Town away on Saturday where everyone will be hoping for more of the same.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 15:15 Wed 18 Mar 2009
News ID ~ 2133
Last Updated ~ 12:25 Mon 21 May 2018