FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

United win Christmas cracker

Nicky Robinson came off the bench to deliver the perfect present as FC United celeberated Christmas in style with a last gasp 3-2 victory over Marine on Saturday.

Tommy Turner bagged his first goal for the club after 20 minutes to get the Reds on their way and Chris Baguley struck again to regain the lead after Peter Cumiskey had levelled with a penalty.

The Merseysiders equalised for a second time through the big number 10 seven minutes after the restart but as the game looked like it might peter out for a draw, substitute Robinson scored a cracker in the 88th minute to gift the Reds all three points.

There was a lively start to the match as both teams and the crowd seemed pumped up for the afternoon. John Lawless was the first to try his luck with a strike on goal for the visitors but Sam Ashton saved his low drive with ease.

Tommy Turner went close at the other end minutes later but Sean Lake was equal to his looping header. However, Turner was able to break the deadlock when Simon Garner whipped a ball in from the left wing.

Midfielder Chris Baguley stabbed a shot goalwards from six yards out straight at Lake who could only parry the rebound to the feet of Turner who gratefully slotted the ball into the net.

Despite some resolute defending from the Reds, Marine were back on level terms 15 minutes later. Left-back Wayne McDermott pushed a ball forwards to Cumiskey who was on the edge of the area.

The big striker turned Rob Nugent, who was captaining the side due to the absence of David Chadwick, and moved the ball down the left hand side of the box. Nugent needlessly slid in and conceded a spot kick.

Cumiskey picked himself up and sent Ashton the wrong way to make it 1-1. However, parity was short lived. Kyle Wilson launched a long ball forward which Tommy Turner nodded down for Adam Carden approximately 25 yards out.

Carden weaved his way into the box on the right hand side. McDermott looked to have him covered but Carden somehow managed to wrap his foot round the ball and deliver a low hard pass across the face of goal.

Despite the fact that there were four defenders around the six yard box, Chris Baguley managed to steal in ahead of them all to poke the ball home - making it 2-1 at the interval.

Minutes after the restart United had a claim for a penalty when Baguley was tackled from behind by Joe Fowler just as he was getting a close range shot away.

Liam Foster played a low hard ball up to Turner and the striker flicked it first time to the on rushing Baguley who stormed into the box. Fowler dived in and did enough to unsettle the former Oldham Athletic trainee as he shot wide.

Moments later, United were powerless to stop Tim Bigland advancing to the edge of the box. The winger crossed for Cumiskey and despite being surrounded by Red shirts, the striker swept his second goal of the match home in to the far corner from 15 yards.

The game then became very scrappy and the only major incident was when Phil Brazier cynically brought down Turner right on the edge of the box as he chased a long ball from Garner. However, referee John Corkhill didn’t think it warranted a free-kick.

The Reds began to look more lively with the introduction of Carlos Roca and Robinson as Marine seemed happy to settle for a draw. It was all United for the last 10 minutes with Baguley heading just wide and Jerome Wright smashing another straight at Lake.

Eventually, with just two minutes remaining, Wright found Robinson unmarked with a delightfully floated cross to the back post. Robinson took one touch, steadied himself and hit home the winner right in front of an ecstatic Manchester Road End.

A very merry Christmas and a happy New Year, we’re FC United and we’re definitely still here.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 12:36 Mon 22 Dec 2008
News ID ~ 1998
Last Updated ~ 12:36 Mon 22 Dec 2008