FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Point apiece in gripping game at Guiseley

Victory was snatched away from FC United in the dying seconds at high flying Guiseley as an enthralling encounter finished in a two all draw on Sunday afternoon in front of 1,283 supporters.

Kyle Wilson’s 20th goal of the season with six minutes to go looked to have sealed an impressive win for the Reds but Anthony Lloyd smashed home a stunning 25-yard screamer in stoppage time to grab a hard earned draw for the Lions.

James Hanson had put the West Yorkshire side ahead after just six minutes but United responded less than ten minutes later when Chris Baguley turned in a Wilson cross from closs range.

The scoreline stayed evenly poised at one-one for the next 70 minutes of play as an engrossing, end-to-end encounter unfolded at Nethermoor Park with great chances for both teams.

However, as the game wore on, United were looking the stronger side despite being nine places and 11 points behind the home team in the UniBond Premier Division table. The best opportunities fell to the Reds and had Lloyd not scored surely the finest goal of his career, all the points would have been travelling back over the Pennines to Manchester.

The match kicked off following a well-respected minute’s applause for one of Guiseley’s most treasured volunteers, Gladys Clapham, who passed away earlier in the week. It was the home side who were out of the blocks fastest.

Striker Steve Burton had the first chance of the match after just three minutes when he tried his luck from distance. Sam Ashton was back-pedalling but looked to have the 40-yard strike covered as it sailed just over the bar.

Minutes later and it was once again Burton who was troubling the United defence. The former Ipswich Town trainee latched onto a through ball down the right and evaded a challenge from Simon Garner.

Adam Turner came over to prevent Burton from crossing the ball into the box for Hanson, so seeing this the forward elected to try his luck for goal instead. His powerful shot cannoned off the upright and flew back across goal to a grateful Hanson who reacted quickly to head the ball home.

With the almost obligatory early goal conceded, United began to settle. Baguley, partnering Wilson upfront, had the Reds’ first chance after 13 minutes. Danny Warrender surged up the right wing and cut inside before laying the ball off for Baguley who shot from the edge of the box. However, his effort into the bottom right hand corner was comfortably saved.

Two minutes later Baguley got the equaliser. Simon Carden won the ball in midfield and pushed it on towards Baguley who had his back to goal around the halfway line. The former Oldham Athletic midfielder took the ball on his chest and then hooked a superb ball out to the left wing for Wilson to run onto.

Wilson used his pace and power to maraud past the full back and into the edge of the box. The Lions keeper, Piotr Skiba had to come over to close the angle and when he did it allowed the league’s top scorer to turn provider for Baguley who had raced over to the far post where he turned the ball over the line. Game on.

Six minutes later and United could have taken the lead. Garner was getting in on the act and he took two defenders on down the left before crossing to the near post for Simon Carden who dived in under pressure but could only steer the ball wide.

At the other end, the Lions showed they would take some taming. Mark Whitehouse was proving to be a handful down the left wing and after getting the better of Warrender midway through the first half he whipped a dangerous ball into the box for Burton to attack. However, captain David Chadwick was putting in another immense performance and scooped the ball off the striker’s toes.

Wilson was coming into the game more and more as the half wore on and he could easily have had two before the break. First on the half hour mark the big striker dummied a pass from Adam Carden and Baguley was on hand to lay it into the box for him. However, Wilson scuffed his shot and it was easily saved.

Minutes later he floated a teasing cross into the box and Chaddy, still up from a partial cleared corner, glanced his header just over the bar. Wilson then combined well with Baguley again on the edge of the box before getting a better shot away. However, Guiseley’s big Polish keeper was equal to it in his rather fetching purple jersey and that was the last action of the first 45 minutes.

United started the second half how the hosts had started the first - in earnest. Warrender hit a superb diagonal ball through to Baguley who through one-on-one with the onrushing Skiba. Baguley tried to chip the keeper but he the attempt was smothered.

Despite United looking the more dangerous of the two sides, Guiseley were still posed a very real threat. A free-kick from the halfway line was nodded down by the towering youngster Hanson and Alex Callery really should have done better than slice his effort wide.

The game really swung in United’s favour with 12 minutes to go when Wednesday night’s hero Nick Robinson was introduced for Papis Dietye, who had put in an impressive performance for his first start.

As the Guiseley back four continued to defend high up the field, Robinson was the next player to find himself clean through one-on-one. The visibly pumped up substitute raced through with his first touch of the match and shot with his second. With Skiba having no chance, Robinson somehow managed to fire agonisingly wide of the left hand post.

With ten minutes to go Robinson was tearing through again. This time Skiba came out to tackle the striker on the edge of the box but the ball fell to Simon Carden who steadied himself before lobbing a fine effort goalwards only for it to be headed off the line and over the bar by Danny Ellis.

Four minutes later, the Reds finally got the goal that they had been threatening. Wilson was found out on the left with time and space and the young striker made finding the back of the net the easiest task in the world - learning back before curling a superb effort round Skiba.

And that should have been that. However, when it looked like the men from Manchester were going to swagger out of town with all three points, Guiseley dug in deep to show exactly why they are closing in on top spot in the table.
With seconds remaining, United found themselves stretched at the back, Chadwick tried to head a dangerous cross to safety but it fell invitingly for Lloyd who was unmarked roughly 25 yards out. The former Huddersfield Town full-back smashed a stunning half-volley into the top left corner to seal a dramatic draw.

Match information.

1. P Skiba
2. A Lloyd
3. D Merris (capt)
4. C Bolder
5. D Ellis
6. J Fitzgerald
7. A Callery
8. S Burton (cautioned 70)
9. J Hanson
10. A Muller
11. M Whitehouse
12. D Brown (for 11 74)
14. P Denney
15. M Thompson (for 7 58)
16. J Cotterill (for 6 85)
17. T Morgan

Scorers: Hanson 6, Lloyd 90.

FC United
1. S Ashton
2. D Warrender (cautioned 45(+3))
3. S Garner
4. P Dieyte (cautioned 69)
5. D Chadwick (capt)
6. A Turner
7. A Carden
8. S Carden
9. K Wilson
10. J Wright
11. C Baguley
12. C Roca
14. N Robinson (for 4, 78)
15. L Foster
16. R Nugent
17. A Skidmore

Scorers: Baguley 15, Wilson 84.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 00:47 Tue 18 Nov 2008
News ID ~ 1934
Last Updated ~ 12:20 Mon 21 May 2018