FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Match Report from FA Website

Worksop Town club secretary Keith Ilett reckoned that the Tigers faced their toughest game of the season up against an impressive FC United of Manchester in the Second Qualifying Round of The FA Trophy.

He was proved right when the Red Rebels ran out easy 3-0 winners at Watnall Road with two goals from Kyle Wilson and another by Dave Chadwick. However, Ilett admits he has no complaints after losing to a ’quality’ side.

"They passed the ball very well and impressed me greatly," he said.

"They looked excellent at times today and are the best side we’ve played so far this season.

"They are a very young and fit side, they played a good passing game and showed some nice little touches in this performance."

The visitors took just 13 minutes to take the lead against Peter Rinkcavage’s men.

Adam Carden was brought down in the penalty area and striker Wilson slotted home the resulting spot kick to give United an early advantage.

Worksop had a chance to level the match just before the break when Steve Robinson floated a dangerous free-kick into the penalty area only for an unmarked Chris Glavey to see his header cannon back off the goalkeeper from point-blank range.

The hosts were made to pay for this missed chance as the Rebels produced a fantastic second half showing.

Defender Chadwick stole in to head the Reds’ second goal after the Tigers’ backline failed to clear from a set-piece on 49 minutes.

Karl Marginson’s side continued to press with slick and attractive football, eventually rounding off the game with a third goal courtesy of Wilson.

A piercing long ball again deceived the Worksop defence and the striker finished coolly to cement his team’s place in the next round of the competition.

Full story here.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 17:51 Mon 3 Nov 2008
News ID ~ 1910
Last Updated ~ 12:55 Mon 21 May 2018