FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Stalemate at windy Whitby

Ferocious seaside winds at Whitby’s Turnbull Ground prevented either side from scoring as FC United left the North Yorkshire coast with a point following a goalless draw in front of 1,079 supporters.

Both teams lined up in adverse conditions with the ball being carried in swirling winds as the weather more than played a part in the proceedings. There were some chances to break the deadlock though.

The ball fell for Danny Warrender on the edge of the area early on and the United number four hit his shot hard and low; unfortunately straight into the hands of the Whitby keeper.

Another good chance came from a Simon Garner free kick on the left touchline inside the Whitby half. The United left back played the ball into the box, and wind assisted, it was carried over the head of the waiting Kyle Wilson. The ball fell at the feet of Danny Williams whose shot was sent high over the bar.

As the half progressed, both sides had to continuously battle with the high Whitby winds with Sam Ashton’s goal kicks against the direction of the wind floating straight back towards him in a boomerang effect.

The hosts’ first chance came from the number 6, Jimmy Beadle, whose storming shot from the edge of the area went swirling just wide of Ashton’s left post.

Moments later, United were forced to defend a double corner in which Whitby had two chances to score. The first of the two corners came in from the left and was heading goalwards. Luckily, Sam Ashton was able to make a two handed save from under his bar to put the ball out for another corner on the opposite side.

The ball was floated in from the right and the FC defence was able to scramble the ball away as Whitby failed to put it over the line.

In the opening stages of the second half, Ashton was forced to make a good save when Michael Rae came through on goal. Fortunately for FC, Ashton was able to block the shot from the number ten.

FC United were forced to make a substitution when Danny Williams picked up an injury following a collision on the edge of the Whitby area. The FC number 11 had to be carried off the pitch and was unable to continue, leaving Carlos Roca to take his place. The Whitby captain, Richard Forster was booked following the incident.

Nick Liversedge in the Whitby goal made an excellent save when Jerome Wright hit a superb shot on target from the right of the Whitby area. Liversedge was able to block the winger’s effort to save the Seasiders.

It was then time for both teams to make changes as Whitby’s Sam Garvie replaced Tommy Raw and FC Number 8, Dave Neville made way for Alex Skidmore. Garner moved alongside Warrender in midfield following the substitution as Skidmore assumed his place at left back.

As the game came to a close, Garner floated a free kick in to the far post from the right touchline; unfortunately the waiting Adam Turner was unable to get his head on the ball as it went out of play.

With the swirling winds above the Turnbull Ground, both teams looked unlikely to score as the match ended 0-0 and both sets of players can take great credit for the spirit in which the game was played in extremely difficult conditions.

United can take the positive of a clean sheet and an extra point to add to the table and now face third placed Ilkeston Town at Gigg Lane on Wednesday night.

Report by Victoria Fullen


Whitby Town

Nick Liversedge
Kevin Burgess
Craig Bishop
Ashley Lyth
Richard Forster (c)
Jimmy Beadle
Steve Huggins
Tony Hackworth
Tommy Raw
Michael Rae
Leon Scott
Danny Brunskill
Phil Brumwell
Lee Nogan
Sam Garvie
David Campbell

FC United

Sam Ashton
Liam Foster
Simon Garner
Danny Warrender
Dave Chadwick (c)
Adam Turner
Adam Carden
Dave Neville
Kyle Wilson
Jerome Wright
Danny Williams
Carlos Roca
Rob Nugent
Alex Skidmore
Nick Robinson
Jake Edwards

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 10:26 Sun 26 Oct 2008
News ID ~ 1899
Last Updated ~ 17:14 Fri 11 Oct 2013