FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Five star United demolish Witton

After 11 days without a game, the Reds were raring to go and the 2,201 strong crowd braving the downpours at Gigg Lane weren’t to be disappointed with FC United gaining three more points in an eight goal thriller against Witton Albion.

Two from the league’s leading scorer, Kyle Wilson, a double from Chris Baguley and the fifth from Jerome Wright capped an impressive, lucid display as United were at their tormenting best going forward.

Manager Karl Marginson will not be happy that United leaked three goals but with the result in the bag and his side scoring at will, the issue will not weigh too heavily on his mind.

It took Wilson just 14 seconds to open the scoring and when that was followed by three more before half time United cruised into the break with a 4-1 lead. Wright put United 5-1 up before a lapse in concentration saw them ship two late goals but it did not affect the result.

Albion, who came with FC United old boy Steve Smith and former Manchester United midfielder Ben Thornley, undid themselves almost straight away. After a poor back pass by central defender, Gary Burke on the edge of the area Wilson nipped in and then proceeded to round the visiting keeper who rushed out to the edge of his area, and slotted the ball home to give United a very early advantage.

With the visitors still reeling from the shock of United’s opener, it didn’t take long for the Reds to add to their lead when Wilson scored his second of the game and eleventh of the season.

Winger Adam Carden was brought down for a free kick to the right of the Witton area and Jerome Wright was on hand to make an excellent left footed delivery into the visitor’s box. Greg Smith was unable to parry the ball away from danger and Wilson was able to pick the ball up just inside the area and ram it home to put the Reds 2-0 up on four minutes.

The FC Faithful were given even more to celebrate about as United continued to batter the Witton goal. A clever interchange of passes from Chris Baguley and Simon Carden resulted in Baguley scoring FC’s third goal of the game on 11 minutes.

Baguley played the ball out to Adam Carden and in a swift one-two Carden slotted the ball through the Witton defence to Baguley who had made an intelligent run into the area. Baguley picked up the ball and put it across Smith into the far corner.

The visiting side weren’t really given a look-in in the game in the opening stages as the Reds seemed to be on fire. Witton’s first real chance came just before the quarter of an hour mark when they won a free kick on the right side of the FC area. The ball was played in and Sam Ashton was unable to collect safely at the near post. The ball bounced off the FC number one for Scott Willis to pick up. The Witton number six had a chance to put the ball away but fortunately for FC, Willis hit his shot against the outside of the post.

The Reds continued to pressure the Witton Albion defence and worked well towards another goal, having numerous chances to increase the score line. The Reds fourth of the game came on 40 minutes in a move which once again Wilson was pivotal in.

Wilson picked up the ball from the midfield and chased it down the wing before swinging it into Carlos Roca to collect inside the six yard box. Roca knocked the ball goal wards and the keeper made a decent save but wasn’t able to push the ball clear and Chris Baguley was on hand to put the ball over the line to give the Reds a very 4-0 healthy lead.

United continued to push forward and in another chance for the Reds, the ball was played to Wright who hit it on the half volley just over the bar. Two minutes into added time, Witton were able to pull one back in a central defensive mix up.

The ball was floated into the area by Ben Thornley and in a confusion between Dave Chadwick and Adam Turner, Lee Thompson was able to put the ball past Sam Ashton on the stroke of half-time to mar a four goal lead.

In an excellent first half performance for the Reds, with countless spells of superb play, United should have arguably had more goals as both teams went in for the break.

Witton started the stronger of the two sides in the opening stages of the second half, being able to tease FC inside the United half. A chance for FC fell to Roca who brought the ball into the Witton area and rounded his defender for a shot on goal which Greg Smith was able to get in the way of. The ball came out to Simon Carden on the edge of the area, whose shot was also blocked as FC began to look more alert following a slow start to the half.

Adam Carden was then able to go for goal when he brought the ball into the box from the right. Carden played the ball back onto his right foot and his effort towards the top corner was sent just wide.

On 66 minutes, Jerome Wright added his own touch to the FC goal tally when he scored United’s fifth goal of the game. Wright got the ball back from Simon Garner on the edge of the area and looked to lose it as he ploughed through a sea of defenders into the Witton area. The left winger was able to hold onto the ball and chipped the keeper excellently to send the ball dipping into the Witton net.

After 69 minutes, FC captain Dave Chadwick was replaced by Rob Nugent in the centre of defence. Just minutes later, Carlos Roca was awarded a penalty after being unnecessarily brought down in the area. Wilson stepped up to the spot to go for his hat-trick and hit his shot hard, only for Smith to get down to his right and knock the ball away in a good save to deny Wilson his third of the game.

With around 15 minutes left to play, Witton made it 5-2 via Lee Thompson. The ball was played over the top to Thompson who took it well to slot it past Sam Ashton on 76 minutes.

Following a slip from substitute Dave Neville in the centre of the park, Witton were able to carry the ball forward to Thompson who was through on goal. Simon Garner was able to make a terrific saving tackle on the edge of the area to deny Thompson his hat trick.

As the match drew to a close, Witton’s captain Rod Thornley was able to wrap up proceedings with a goal on the stroke of full time. The ball was played through to the number 10 and as Ashton came out, Thornley rounded the FC keeper to slot the ball home.

All in all, the score line arguably flattered the visiting side who were lucky not to have conceded countless more goals in a tremendous United performance - some of the best football the young club have ever played.

Report by Victoria Fullen.

FC United

S Ashton
D Warrender
S Garner
C Baguley (12, 40)
D Chadwick (capt)
A Turner
A Carden
S Carden (cautioned, 32)
K Wilson
J Wright
C Roca


D Williams (for 11, 74)
R Nugent (for 5, 69)
D Neville (for 8, 77)
A Skidmore
R Howarth

Witton Albion

G Smith
P Donnelly
G Scott
S Smith
G Burke
S Willis
B Thornley
M Drew
L Thompson (cautioned 26) (45+2, 76)
R Thornley (capt) (90+2)


R Thaker (for 4, 14)
D Skelton (for 6, 59)
D Schwartz (for 5, 45)
B Pritchard
D Millington

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 14:58 Mon 6 Oct 2008
News ID ~ 1855
Last Updated ~ 12:20 Mon 21 May 2018