FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Wilson hat-trick as Reds win

A Kyle Wilson’s hat-trick secured all three points for FC United as they rolled over Whitby Town 3-1 at Gigg Lane on Saturday for their first home win of the season in front of 2,071 supporters.

FC United’s summer signing from Skelmersdale killed off the game in a two minute second half spell to send the Reds up the UniBond Premier League table whilst taking his goal scoring tally for the season up to six in five games.

Despite the result, it was actually the away side who settled the quicker of the two teams, applying the early pressure and taking advantage of a slow start from FC United.

The Reds were forced to make a substitution on eight minutes when Liam Foster was unable to run off an injury obtained during the warm up. Danny Self was on hand to make the change, assuming an as yet unfamiliar position at right-back, carrying out the role admirably.

As United began to settle into the game and search ravenously for that opening goal, a familiar and much welcome face was back amongst the red ranks in the form of Jerome Wright, making his first start of the new season.

With the Reds on the attack, it didn’t take long for their efforts to be rewarded when Wilson put United in front on 13 minutes. The ball was carried skilfully through the midfield by Simon Carden who pushed it beyond Whitby’s defence to Wilson on the edge of the 18 yard box. The former Skelmersdale forward was able to poke the ball to the left of the keeper to give the Reds a 1-0 advantage.

As the Seasiders looked to pursue an equaliser, Sam Ashton was forced to make a fine point blank one handed save. Following a failure to clear the lines on the edge of the United area, Whitby’s captain Tony Hackworth was able to pick up a loose ball and close in on goal; his shot forcing Ashton to make the save.

Just two minutes later, the impressive Hackworth broke through on goal, comfortably chaperoned by David Chadwick. However, Hackworth’s speculative shot was only partially blocked by the United captain and the deflection deceived Sam Ashton as the ball looped over his head into the corner of the net to make the score 1-1 on 31 minutes and that’s how it stayed until the second half.

Immediately following the restart, the Reds forced a corner from which Whitby’s centre half, former Leeds United player Mark Tinkler obtained an injury and could take no further part in the game, being replaced on 35 minutes by Richard Forster.

United’s final attack of the half saw a good build up through the midfield in which Carden was able to play the ball through to Chris Baguley to put him one-on-one with the keeper in the box. However, Baguley was unable to convert, leaving the game evenly poised at 1-1 as both teams went in for the break.

The Reds started the second half strongly, posing a clear threat on the Whitby goal. A Jamie Baguley corner on the left was played into Chaddy on the back post whose header ricocheted off a defender on the line. The rebound shot on goal was again scrambled off the line to be eventually cleared, leaving the visitors breathing a sigh of relief.

Jerome Wright was then replaced by Carlos Roca who was quick to make an impact, winning a free kick just right of the area. Jamie Baguley played the ball in and as the Whitby keeper went down to his near post, Wilson headed the ball over Ben Escritt who was still on the ground, to put the Reds in front again on 66 minutes.

FC United continued to pile on the pressure, throwing energy into the attack and displaying good spells of football and neat passing. A Jamie Baguley corner was deflected out to Chris Baguley who played the ball back out to his brother for a better delivery which saw Kyle Wilson glance a header beyond the Whitby keeper to complete his first FC United hat-trick on 68 minutes. Just minutes later Wilson was replaced by Danny Williams no doubt with Monday’s trip to Bradford in mind.

In the closing stages, the game was forced into a temporary break when Whitby’s Ashley Lyth seemingly collapsed on the edge of his area. The number four was stretchered off unconscious, leaving Whitby with 10 men for the final stages having used all their substitutes prior to the incident. FC’s doctor and club physio, Mark Cooney, stayed with the player as he came round in the treatment room. Fortunately no ambulance was required and Lyth was able to travel home on the Whitby team coach.

To conclude a fine afternoon’s proceedings, Wilson was deservedly awarded man of the match after his goals gave United their first home victory of the season. The Reds will now be hoping to carry their winning ways through to Monday night when they face old rivals Bradford Park Avenue.

Report by Victoria Fullen

FC United

1 S Ashton
2 L Foster
3 B Howard
4 D Whitehead
5 D Chadwick (capt)
6 A Turner
7 J Baguley
8 S Carden
9 K Wilson
10 J Wright (cautioned 38)
11 C Baguley
12 C Roca (for 10, 62)
14 A Carden
15 D Williams (for 9, 74)
16 D Self (for 2, 8)
17 D Neville

Scorer: Wilson 13, 66 and 68

Whitby Town

1 B Escritt
2 K Burgess
3 A Janes
4 A Lyth
5 M Tinkler
6 L Nogan
7 S Huggins
8 J Beadle (cautioned 22)
9 T Raw (cautioned 81)
10 T Hackworth (capt)
11 K Charlton
12 P Brumwell
14 S Garvie (for 3 69)
15 R Forster (for 5 35)
16 D Brunskill (for 6 77)
17 B Ledgeway

Scorer: Hackforth 31

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 12:01 Mon 1 Sep 2008
News ID ~ 1791
Last Updated ~ 17:14 Fri 11 Oct 2013