FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

When FC United go out to play, it's 10am on Sunday

Or at least it was on 11th May 2008 when FC United’s under 18 team played their last game of the season away against Leigh RMI. We kicked off at 10am on a day that will be recorded in Leigh as the last day football was played at Hilton Park. A certain other game nearby meant that the RMI second string under 18’s team could use a 12:30 kick off slot and claim the prize of last ever game.

The FC United youth certainly took advantage of the opportunity to claim a place in both FC and RMI folklore. I am sure no one needs reminding of the significance of the ground from the FC viewpoint.

A sixth minute free kick gave FC their first chance as James McKenna headed narrowly wide and Matthew Kirkwood chipping over the keeper but wide of the post, being the best of the early exchanges in the 17th minute being the best of the early play as FC took the game to RMI from the start.

Josh Stott and Sean Mills also had chances as the first half drew to a close although the best action came on the stroke of half time when the ball was fed out to the wide right and a quick low hard cross was convincingly smashed home by an unfortunate RMI defender.

FC started the second half with as much conviction; the first five minutes saw Josh Stott foiled by the keeper after a right wing break and pass inside by Sean Mills left him one on one. Josh turned provider with a break down the left two minutes later when James McKenna headed his cross wide.

In the 55th minute Josh, who had been giving the RMI right back a torrid time all game found himself clear of the back four again. This time he made no mistake, coolly slotting past the keeper for a 2-0 lead.

The best move of the match came in the 62nd minute when FC fed the ball from back to front in a crisp one and two touch move that must have contained about ten passes without a Leigh player getting near the ball. When Josh played the ball into the centre it seemed impossible for James to miss, however with the side of his right foot he did just that.

Leigh RMI came back into the game and created some good chances for themselves, however when with another break Sean Mills created space for a cross, Danny Hulme found himself with a free header from half an inch which he duly converted to make it 3-0.

That was the last of the scoring chances and the game finished 3-0 and with it the end of the youth season.

Leigh RMI

1. Josh Harris
17. Matt Storey
4. Rob Sparks
2. Daniel Hallam
5. Ryan Edwards
6. Wayne Green
7. Michael Smith (Cautioned)
8. Rob Cooke (Cautioned)
9. Mark Dumbell
10. Andy Daley
11. David Duffield


12. Dale Latham (51mins, for 8)
14. Tom Wood (58mins, for 10)

FC United

1. Jake Edwards
2. Danny Hulme (Goal 78mins)
3. Andre Holder
4. Perry Johnson
5. Nick Swirad
6. Shaun Williams
7. Callum Rothwell
8. Matthew Kirkwood
9. Sean Mills (Cautioned)
11. Josh Stott (Goal 55mins)
12. James McKenna


10. Boumba Boubth (64mins, for 6)
16. Imran Arain (28mins, for 4)
17. Johnny Hall
15. Liam James (78mins, for 9)
14. Marcel McKie
(Own Goal 45 mins)

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 10:07 Tue 13 May 2008
News ID ~ 1661
Last Updated ~ 17:14 Fri 11 Oct 2013