FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

United lift President's Cup

FC United beat Radcliffe Borough and lifted the Presidents Cup with a late brace of goals from Chris Baguley and Stuart Rudd.

The 2-0 win sees Margy’s men claim their fifth trophy in three seasons and gave them a huge psychological boost going into what could be a critical two weeks at the end of the season.

United had a great chance to take the lead in the opening minutes when Rob Nugent rose well from a corner but saw his header headed off the line.

Radcliffe played as well as they’ve played all season in the meetings between the two sides, enjoying good possession without ever really threatening the United goal.

In a game with few clear cut chances the Reds had the best opportunity of the opening 45 minutes when captain David Chadwick rose and headed across goal where Simon Carden just couldn’t stretch his right leg out far enough to see the ball home.

United ’keeper Sam Ashton didn’t have much to do in the first half but when he was called into action he continued his great form from Tuesday’s meeting when he used his feet to save well form Radcliffe’s top scorer Steve Howson.

The teams were level at the interval and the game didn’t really open up in the second half but that didn’t deter the United faithful who were in good voice; as ever, throughout. Half chances here or there, but no real penetrative football left the crowd wondering whether the tie would end level.

United’s manager Karl Marginson, knowing that there needed to be a change of personnel, brought off the tireless Carden and brought on Chris Baguley, and within five minutes United were in front thanks to the substitute.

Rudd took the ball well on the right and the striker crossed in such a way a right winger would have been proud, and Baguley got his head to the ball, knocking it across goal and giving United the lead with less than ten minutes left.

The fans were ecstatic but United’s defence seemed to lose their head as Radcliffe came forward looking for the equaliser, and had it not been for Liam Foster’s clearance off the line Radcliffe would have been back in the game.

But a famous victory was sealed in stoppage time when Adam Carden latched onto a misplaced clearance and played it through to Rudd who unleashed the ball into the roof of the net. A fitting way to take the victory given that the big forward has spent most of the season on the sidelines with a knee injury.

The scenes at the final whistle were a sight to behold as players, management and supporters partied United, with the celebrations guaranteed to go on long into the night.

Ever the stickler for hard work though, Margy will be making sure any hangovers are quickly shaken off in order to aim for another three points away to Newcastle Blue Star. But tonight was about the victory and another success for FC United of Manchester.

Report by Craig Phillips.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 00:44 Sat 19 Apr 2008
News ID ~ 1617
Last Updated ~ 12:34 Mon 21 May 2018