FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

United slump to defeat

FC United’s title aspirations were dealt a hammer blow on Thursday night as a tired looking Reds side surrendered a first half lead to go down 3-1 away to promotion rivals Ossett Albion.

Simon Carden had bundled home the opener after 18 minutes but with fixtures coming thick and fast it was understandable that Karl Marginson’s men were some what legged and Albion deservedly walked away with all three points due to three second half goals.

The first half had belonged to United. Ten minutes into the game their first real chance came when Liam Foster crossed for Stuart Rudd, who rose above everyone but could only nod his header wide of the hosts’ goal.

The earlier pressure paid off five minutes later as United took an deserved lead. Chris Baguley’s corner was eventually bundled home by Simon Carden after a tidy flick on by Jamie Baguley.

Sam Ashton’s first contribution of the game came just minutes after the restart. Shaun Kelsey with plenty of room in the reds penalty area struck his shot but Ashton read it well to deflect it wide of his goal.

This was a sign of what was to come and it was no surprise that Ossett got their equaliser six minutes after the interval. The dangerous Kelsey cut inside the United penalty area before releasing hit shot. The bar came to the rescue of the reds this time but there was nothing it could do to deny David Seyer’s beautiful volley from 20 yards.

Ossett now had the bit between the teeth. Again 15 minutes from time it was the same combination that was the undoing of United. Kelsey crossed from the left and Seyer grabbed his second with a looping header that found the top left corner of the Reds’ goal for Albion’s second of the game.

United pushed men forward in pursue of the equaliser and their best chance came three minutes from time. Shaun Roscoe crossed from the left finding Carden but his left footed shot was never threatening.

With the Reds throwing extra men forward they were always going to be vulnerable at the back and this was exploited for Ossett’s third. Kelsey, who was at the centre of everything, broke down the left and as the Ashton rushed out of his goal Kelsey was clever enough to chip the Reds keeper and that was game, set and match.

United’s evening was summed up deep into injury time. Patterson a couple of yards from goal headed straight at Mick Clark.

United now set their eyes on another trip to Yorkshire on Saturday as they head to Wakefield hoping for a better return.

By John Hill

FC United
S Ashton
L Foster (cautioned 53)
S Roscoe
J Baguley
D Chadwick (capt) (cautioned 90(+5))
R Nugent
C Baguley
S Carden
S Rudd (cautioned 75)
J Wright
R Patterson
N Robinson (for 2 77)

B Howard
D Swarbrick (for 7 68)

Scorer: S Carden 19

Ossett Albion
N Bennett
D Utley (capt)
K Cook
D Syers
D Riordan
S West
A Catton
M Senior
D Dickinson
S Kelsey (cautioned 75)
R White
D Jenkinson (for 9 90(+4))

J Wordsworth (for 11 84)
A Seed (for 7 88)

Scorers: Syers 51 63, Kelsey 90(+2)

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 12:53 Fri 4 Apr 2008
News ID ~ 1590
Last Updated ~ 17:14 Fri 11 Oct 2013