FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

United through to cup final

The Victoria Pleasure Grounds proved to be a happy hunting home for FC as United marched into the final of the President’s Cup with a 3-1 victory over Goole.

A brace of goals from Chris Baguley, including a spectacular 40-yard lob, and one from Rory Patterson were enough to see the Reds safely through a tough semi-final played in difficult conditions.

Running out in blue shirts United were up against it from the start, playing into a spiralling wind that caused them more problems than the opposition.

Both teams had few early clear-cut chances as the Reds unfamiliar backline did superbly well to stand tall against an aerial onslaught from the Vikings.

As the first half drew to a close Goole were unlucky not to take the lead, striker Duncan Bray hitting the post from a close-range free-kick. Margy’s men would have been happy to go into the interval level but instead took the lead in the second minute of injury time.

A free flowing move saw the ball pass through Wright and Patterson before Baguley calmly hit home from the edge of the box on the half time whistle.

The second half saw the Reds playing with the strong wind in their favour and they quickly capitalised on this within minutes of the restart.

Shaking off his marker in the middle of the park Baguley burst into the Goole half and, spotting the keeper off his line, hit a huge lob from inside the centre circle. Despite getting a hand on it the back pedalling Craig Parry could only help the ball into the back of the net.

Just before the hour mark United made it 3-0. Josh Howard proved to be the beneficiary of another good long ball before calmly finding Rory Patterson in the middle who made no mistake when one-on-one with the keeper.

The home side rallied and pulled a goal back with 15 minutes left, defender James O’Neill hitting a good low-drive past a blameless Aaron Grundy.

With time running out tempers frayed and Goole player-manager Nigel Danby set a bad example by being sent off for a clumsy challenge on Jamie Baguley.

The impressive Micah Bleau and stalwart captain David Chadwick made sure the home side were then restricted to long range efforts as United held on to record an impressive result.

The Reds will now face Radcliffe Borough in the final, with date and venue still to be confirmed.

Mark Swanwick


C Parry
C Jenkinson
J O’Neill
B Hill (Capt.)
N Danby
L Chapman
S Rollinson
A Jackson
C Tate
D Bray
K Rose
C Robinson (7, 79)
C Marsh (11, 62)
M Norbury

Goal: O’Neill 74

Sent Off: Danby 77

Booked: Rose 42, Rollinson 57, Danby 67

FC United
A Grundy
A Carden
B Howard
M Hampson
D Chadwick (Capt.)
M Bleau
J Howard
J Baguley
J Wright
C Baguley
R Patterson
K Harrup (3, 30)
Cosgrave (11, 62)
P Power (10, 75)
Goals: C Baguley 45, 47, Patterson 58

Booked: Harrup 52, Power 87, Wright 90.

Att: 967

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 09:49 Mon 10 Mar 2008
News ID ~ 1541
Last Updated ~ 17:14 Fri 11 Oct 2013